When to apply for Esa

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When to apply for Esa

Postby blessedfavour » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi everyone, I have just been diagnosed with FM, I was relieved when the doctor diagnosed me because I could at least put a name to what I was suffering from. So off I went to find out more about fibro on the Internet, I found this page and I've not stopped reading it since then the information and other people's stories has helped me a great deal.
So what I will like to know is how long do I have to wait before claiming Esa. I'm not working at the moment. I don't want to ring up and feel awkward or greedy by asking for it. Please can someone put me through on what to do? Thanks.
blessedfavour
UKFM Newbie

Re: When to apply for Esa

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:54 pm

:welcome: to our little escape from it all blessedfavour :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Here's a linky about ESA giving you an overview of the benefit, eligibility, claiming etc. I can't see anything which says that need to wait for a period of time after dx before you can claim. To be sure tho, speaking to someone about it might be an idea. I don't think you'll be made to feel awkward for asking such a question as it's a very sensible thing to want to know.

If you don't feel comfortable ringing DWP and asking, you could look for a support organisation in your area, such as Citizens Advice, Welfare Rights, or other local groups that have a benefits adviser. They will be able to go thru the various benefits you may be eligible to claim, and could also provide help with completing forms and going thru the system.

Hopefully someone else will have a little more to add to my wafflings that will be of help to you xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby blessedfavour » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 am

Thanks for you advice Fluppypuffy. I have made an appointment with CAB, to speak to someone but the truth I'm so scared of ringing up DWP.
blessedfavour
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:52 pm

You're not alone in feeling like that when it comes to dealing with DWP blessedfavour xx Altho we know that they are huu~mon, the tales that some have told about their experiences when talking to them do absolutely nothing to improve their reputation.

:goodluck2: with your appt with CAB. People have found their help can make a real difference when going thru the benefits system xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits