PIP Assessment at home

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP Assessment at home

Postby ilensmummy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:34 am

Hi there, I need some reassurance please. Just has a letter from Capita...they are coming to do my pip assessment NEXT TUESDAY. I'm terrified. Strangers frighten me. My anxiety is off the scale. What should I expect. What can they do to me? Will they touch me? Xx
ilensmummy
UKFM Newbie

Re: PIP Assessment at home

Postby julie151094 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi, I had my assessment yesterday and the lady that came was lovely. They don't touch you or anything like that, just ask more in depth questions with reference to what you have already put on your original PIP claim for. I hope that this reassures you. X
julie151094
UKFM Newbie

Postby ilensmummy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Thankyou for replying. I'm so frightened I'm being sick. I'm scared they will try to touch my baby or want to look round my house or they won't understand. Its such short notice too. Xxx
ilensmummy
UKFM Newbie

Postby lancashire-lass » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:15 pm

I don't want to sound un-sympathetic about your concerns, but I've been waiting 46 weeks for my re-assessment since my medical condition severely worsened. ATOS tell me that I am now in the review stage (appointment within the next 16 weeks) but they do not allow home visits, even though I cannot walk.
So to get a short notice, home visit would be everything I could hope for!
Gentle hugs
PS Can you not get somebody you trust to sit in on your assessment with you to give you more confidence?
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby ilensmummy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 am

Clearly you don't understand anxiety issues! I am frightened of strangers. It's not my fault you haven't been dealt with so don't judge me thank you.
ilensmummy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:38 pm

I had mine at home the lady was lovely.my husband and son were present as I also suffer acute anxiety.i wasn't " made" to do anything other than answer questions.hope all goes well for you xxxx.
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby ilensmummy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:49 am

Thankyou for replying and being supportive. The other person to comment regarding the situation clearly doesn't understand what it feels like to be afraid of strangers and to have such crippling anxiety that even opening the front door can be a challenge. They also don't know how long I have waited for my assessment and the "I don't want to sound unsympathetic but..." Is really very unhelpful. I am not a person that asks for help. Posting on here was a massive thing to do and to be shot down like that was really uncalled for. For me, the pain of the fibro is just one part of what I deal with every day, alongside mental health issues and other physical problems. I try to get on with my life and work without talking about things, without complaining. Even applying for pip, to me, felt like a failure, an admission that it had all got the better of me. Then the letter came and I instantly went into meltdown mode. A stranger in my house who might want to touch me or touch my baby. The fear and distress of having to try and explain myself when sometimes I stutter and stammer or get confused. The fact that one of the people who chose to reply to me has had to wait 46 weeks is not my fault. I cane here in distress for support and advice, to get an idea of what to expect. To understand if I can say no if they ask to touch or examine me or ask me to do something i know will hurt. What if I cry and make a fool of myself? I just wanted a,little support and comfort not some annoyed person taking out their frustration on me. I'm sorry you haven't been dealt with but it isn't my fault. Thank you to those who took the time to be reassuring and helpful. It is much appreciated.
ilensmummy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:53 pm

ilensmummy wrote:Thankyou for replying and being supportive. The other person to comment regarding the situation clearly doesn't understand what it feels like to be afraid of strangers and to have such crippling anxiety that even opening the front door can be a challenge. They also don't know how long I have waited for my assessment and the "I don't want to sound unsympathetic but..." Is really very unhelpful. I am not a person that asks for help. Posting on here was a massive thing to do and to be shot down like that was really uncalled for. For me, the pain of the fibro is just one part of what I deal with every day, alongside mental health issues and other physical problems. I try to get on with my life and work without talking about things, without complaining. Even applying for pip, to me, felt like a failure, an admission that it had all got the better of me. Then the letter came and I instantly went into meltdown mode. A stranger in my house who might want to touch me or touch my baby. The fear and distress of having to try and explain myself when sometimes I stutter and stammer :flowers: :goodluck2: or get confused. The fact that one of the people who chose to reply to me has had to wait 46 weeks is not my fault. I cane here in distress for support and advice, to get an idea of what to expect. To understand if I can say no if they ask to touch or examine me or ask me to do something i know will hurt. What if I cry and make a fool of myself? I just wanted a,little support and comfort not some annoyed person taking out their frustration on me. I'm sorry you haven't been dealt with but it isn't my fault. Thank you to those who took the time to be reassuring and helpful. It is much appreciated.

Sending you :goodluck2: :flowers: and hugs .
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:26 am

ilensmummy wrote:Thankyou for replying. I'm so frightened I'm being sick. I'm scared they will try to touch my baby or want to look round my house or they won't understand. Its such short notice too. Xxx

Hi

hope all went as well as it could be :(

As for crying, (your other post) we all cry even without anxiety, we cry. Some just drip and look like squished newborns (me) some sob and choke, some cry inside and get angry on the outside, some cry so much inside they stumble out in a confused daze. It's not a nice thing for unwell people to go through so don't worry if you sobbed your heart out. They will ignore that anyway and say you responded, looked and behaved normally. Maybe being in meltdown is their normal! :yikes:

:crazy:
:-D
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby ilensmummy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi there. So they came and did my assessment. I had an advocate/friend with me. The woman was an hour early. My advocate challenged this and said that she should have rung ahead to say that she was going to be early. I agreed to let her in to do the assessment. She had a lap top, was very grumpy because my 14 month old baby kept trying to get at it and I was struggling to stop him. She went through all the answers I gave on my original form. She did comment that my doctors report and supporting information/evidence was excellent which is really helpful. She asked me to do some exercises some of which I tried to do, others I refused to do explaining that if I did it, it would hurt. She said that was ok. She asked about my mental health too and documented it. She understood, or seemed to understand that I was frightened anxious and upset especially when she asked if I ever felt suicidal or had tried to take my own life and the questions about toilet issues. It took about an hour and a quarter. Now all I can do is wait. Xxxx
ilensmummy
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits