PIP

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP

Postby BryanM » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:46 am

Hi there,

I have recently been told I have Fibro aged 30 :( Been told to apply for PIP due to my daily struggles but not sure if I would meet the criteria. So in brief....

In the morning waking up I need to go side on down stairs and find it a struggle to walk. Gets better as the day goes. Can't stand at cooker or doing dishes as legs become really sore(find that weird!) Putting on my socks is hard due to my shoulders and back. Even putting on t-shirt is a massive struggle due to pain. If I take a bath need my partner to help me out as find it hard to get out. The handles at the side of the bath are useless as my body weight (14st) makes it sore for my arms.

I have mental health issues that I will not address here. Just want to get an idea how the DWP see Fibro? Medical evidence lacks other than confirming I have Fibro.
BryanM
UKFM Newbie

Re: PIP

Postby korbey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:01 am

I am also very interested in this topic. I am 31 and have been diagnosed with Fibro for a number of years.

I was lucky and continued to work for a long time. but recently life is becoming a struggle. I am fine in the mornings, but as the day wears on i wear out! I sometimes feel as if by lunch time I have been awake for days.

More problems arise on a regular basis and a recent bout of IBS has left me in a lot of pain, finally getting hold of buscopan means I don't experience crippling stomach cramps, but it doesn't remove all of the pain.

I really feel for you BryanM as it can be hard to even see how you can get help. The standards for PIP seem quite high and on good days I definitely don't qualify, but on bad days I just cant seem to achieve anything.
korbey
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sarah1480 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 am

Morning, i am in the process of applying for PIP, I had my interview on Monday. I am now waiting for their decision. I have also had some help from my local council with some equipment, a leg lifter, grab rails in the shower and next to the loo and also a rail outside of my front door, these are to help with day to day life. They have also referred me to an occupational therapist who is coming on Monday to see if there is anything else that will help. I also need to be helped in and out of the bath, not something I thought would happen at the age of 35! The OT is going to look at this as well and see what help I can get. I think when applying for PIP you need to tell them everything and send them every piece of paperwork you have, tell them about your bad days as there are more of these than good. Not sure if this helps but I just wanted to share my experience so far.
Sarah1480
UKFM Newbie

Postby robbiecramp » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:20 pm

I have fibro and was awarded PIP Daily Living 10 points so got Standard Rate and 10 points Mobility but after a reconsideration on something the OT who did the medical which was confusing the metres I could actually manage this was taken to 12 for Mobility. When you fill in the form and attend the medical whether it's a bad day or not you have to consider that it's what they need to see
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby Badluv » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:32 am

Hi everyone. This is a subject that I am greatly interested in . As I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia :( and I was previously claiming pip . So I filled in the change of circumstances form and sent it off . I was called in for a capita meeting with one of the interviewers and told I needed to jump threw x amount of hoops to see what I could and couldn't do. Was rushed through the process aswell because the interviewer wanted to leave before 6pm . I hadn't heard back from them in 4 weeks so decided to call only to be told they've not made a decision . OK I thought . Fair enough they need between 6-8 weeks. A couple of days later I received a decision and they'd wiped everything . Even though I was already claiming for my mental health issues they wiped them too . Gave me zero for everything . I'm in pain constantly and feel as though no one truly understands this condition unless there going threw it themselves . It have caused me problems with my finances . My wife , my family . My health has got worse . And my meds have been upped because I can't cope . :-x
I've appealed and lost with no explanation :evil: and now having to fill in a sscs1 form to take it to court . Maybe I've had a bad run of it and please don't let my story put you off . But be aware not everybody is understanding to our position. Some think we're just chancers trying to rape the system .
All the best though Chris
Badluv
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:36 pm

It may not be applicable in certain cases but I always like to stress that always ask for a copy of reports given back to them. For example when you claim PIP they tend to contact your GP / consultant etc.... Now I have seen and also been a victim of the errors on reports.

So let me explain better. When some one visits there GP for pain (for example) all many of us are interested in is talk about pain relief. A lot of us including myself never go in saying.... *I need strong pain killers as my partner/family had to bathe me/dress me today* What im trying to say is that on your health records a lot of the care information is never available so when the PIP forms arrive in need of such info the GP cannot put anything down.

My GP put things like N/A (not applicable) / Not known etc.... This obviously goes against many claims.

Also again a consultant may not ask if your in need of care etc when they see you as its mainly pointed to symptoms rather then daily struggles, and even if you chat and explain daily struggles a lot of consultants wont put this in a report.

Evidence is the key but unless your GP etc have it written down in front of them they cannot successfully fill out the report which then co0incides with your forms.

The thing to do is to write down all mobility and care needs and hand it in to your surgery when your in process of the claim so its to hand so they have it to go by.

I have also read and seen many documents from other peoples professionals that put down things that completely go against a claim!

So its worth calling and asking for a copy of ALL reports handed in to see where the problem may lie and then trying to rectify it.

My GP report was empty!! apart from one box which was the one asking for confirmation on the health conditions I had stated. The GP had put down that a few of my illnesses were not on the system!! even tho I had been diagnosed by a consultant so its making sure the correct info is on there and sending in all reports of illnesses and diagnoses for evidence.

Just thought I would add this as may help some one.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Charmed » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:51 pm

That is excellent advice Lisa and something I never thought of. I tend not to go to my GPs because there is little/nothing they say they can do to help me. Maybe I should start pestering them x
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Charmed wrote:That is excellent advice Lisa and something I never thought of. I tend not to go to my GPs because there is little/nothing they say they can do to help me. Maybe I should start pestering them x

What happened to me is I had put down all my illnesses and conditions on the question and my DLA report went to a registrar (note not all forms end up with the right GP its whoever is there/on duty) and this registrar was not experienced in form filling and also did not know me very well so when she was looking through my notes to find information on diagnoses she pulled out a letter which was dated 2006! and went on that :yikes:

This obviously was out dated information and she could not see a CFS diagnoses on it. So she put down that CFS was *unknown!* so all info on forms I had put in regards to mobility & care needs & symptoms relating to CFS was then not taken into account! thing is at least 25% of my claim went on severe fatigue levels!

I called my GP who is a senior partner and explained the situation. Also because he had gone on my fatigue (CFS) when he related to symptoms I went to see him with and even put other problems down to CFS related conditions etc....

Si I had to then be re referred back to the same consultant I saw in 2006! for a CFS diagnosed JUST to have it down in black & white!

This eventualy was down after many weeks/months of waiting on the list which unfortunately I could not rectify on the DLA forms as the appeal time came & went! so my care component went from middle rate down to low! meaning a loss of over £100 a month through GP error!

If the forms had of gone to the right GP then he could have put that YES I do have severe fatigue levels and none of this would have happened.

Lesson learned and my experience to forward onto others.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Charmed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:46 pm

That is really interesting Lisa, it just goes to show how important information can get lost, when it is received by the wrong person and they don't know you personally. Something so simple which ends up having a dramatic effect on the claimants life.

If the DWP had given me what I am entitled to, enhanced rate mobility PIP I would be £227.00 better off per month. Which would have been good, it would have meant I could of afforded to go to the Pain Clinic (which I've waited 5 years to be refered for) The taxis to and from the hospital would have been £36 per day, which would be £144 per month :shock: I'm absolutely gutted I can't go.

But it's not even about the money, it's about false reports from ATOS making you sound like a liar and the dreadful way you are treated at tribunal. It all concentrates on the negative, things you can't do, which is seriously bad for your mental health.

As we all know, stress affects our condition enormously. Yet we are expected to jump through hoops provided by the DWP, just to attempt to prove our ill health. I feel we are being victimised and there is absolutely nothing we cab do about it.

Sorry for ranting, I'm just at my wits end at the moment :pull-hair:
Charmed
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits