Work issues

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work issues

Postby Yokofox » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:19 pm

HI I am still relatively new to the forum and was wondering if there was someone that could advise on something. I have received a letter from my work saying that I have had too much time off sick (four days in six months and three of which were due to the Fibromyalgia) They have said that this is above the amount that they expect.
I work all the hours I can and have done extra to make up for all of these days and Have worked late and extra all the time and are really hurt by this. And there are people who have been off much more than me and I have covered for them!

Also when I was trying to do a basic task at work today and my mind just went blank and my manager was watching and all of the staff were just looking at me, as a team leader |I am expect to have the answer all the time and this was just embarrasing. I am now worried that she is going to judge me for this. They are also trying to say that I have to do a course that requires being put under stress and wearing a head set that blasts noise and foot soles that affect your balance, I have asked them if this is a good idea and they have said that they think I should still do it. I am unsure but my manager says that it is important and I have to do it a part of my job.

My work seems to have no idea about the condition. And I am unsure of how to tell them or how they can help!

Any ideas? Please........ :(
Yokofox
UKFM Newbie

Re: Work issues

Postby jsjones21 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi

If you have a union/trade union I would suggest that you get in touch.

If not, you could contact the Equality and Human Rights Commission for information.
jsjones21
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:36 am

Hi Yokofox

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament

I've moved this thread to

Legal Matters ‹ DWP, Working & Benefits

as there are a few posts there which may be helpful such as

Not many people are aware that there is help other than that of your employer out there. It comes in the form of the Disability Employment Advisors (DEA) who can be found in the local Jobcentre Plus Offices. They are not just there to help people with Disabilities find work but also to help those in work keep their jobs. This is called a "retention " case .

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10001

In the meantime, perhaps the following links may be useful.

http://www.landaulaw.co.uk/sickness/

http://www.landaulaw.co.uk/stress-at-work/

http://www.hse.gov.uk/sicknessabsence/legalguidance.htm

https://www.unison.org.uk/get-help/know ... ick-leave/

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/wor ... sick-leave

How long have you worked with your present employer and have you checked the terms of your contract regarding leave? I would also take a diary of any incidents at work detailing locations, people and times in case these may be needed in the future

Regards Stephen
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby perseus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Yokofox

I was in a similar situation about ten years ago and recall being sent for an occupational health assessment. Both Human Resources and the GP they recruited appeared reasonable. Although he was working on behalf of the company he agreed to show me the assessment before sending it back to the firm. They appeared much more sympathetic for a while after that, although I was eventually made redundant.

The moral of the story is that if you are upfront about your illness, your firm might be more careful how they treat you to avoid falling foul of disability rules. If you don't tell them they might have an excuse. That said I had a clear diagnosis of fibromyalgia from two consultants, I was in a Union, and my terms and conditions were inherited from the time the firm was part of the civil service. Unfortunately, employee rights have been eroded through successive governments, and it's become progressively easier to hire and fire staff as firms update their T&Cs.

Here's another link on this issue.

http://www.fmauk.org/useful-information ... st-working
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Yokofox » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the advice. I have been upfront with my managers and have informed them of all updates.
They have told me that this is standard procedure and they have said that everyone with more that one day off in the last six months has received a letter- this seems a bit far fetched as this is not much in a care industry! with all of the bugs and illnesses that we deal with on a daily basis.
They have agreed to do a risk assessment and will ensure that this is done, But during this discussion with them they have asked that I attend a course that involves wearing googles that alter your vision, and insoles in your shoes that alter balance and nerve feeling as well as a head set that is loud and disorientating, I was asked to do this last time and declined as this would cause a worsening of condition but they have now said that this is compulsory as part of my job role.
I am awaiting to see a pain team seminar that is due in December and I am due to start hydrotherapy and will swap my days around to meet the companies needs of policies and not loose hours for these. My manager although understanding seems to think that this condition is made up and that I use it to get out of things- which as others on the page know is not the case at all.
Just because it is am imvisiable illness does not mean it is not happening. Has anyone else had these type of issues with just not being believed that you have Fibromyalgia?

Thanks
:-P
Yokofox
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Yokofox

I'm glad you seem to be making some progress. It's very frustrating if others think you are putting it on. Those of us which have managed to maintain full time employment under this condition should be congratulated IMO.

Here's a factsheet for Employers on Fibromyalgia which set out their responsibilities to you.

http://rct.learningpool.com/pluginfile. ... download=1

good luck!
perseus

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits