Funded care now costs me £155 per wk

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Funded care now costs me £155 per wk

Postby Sals » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:01 pm

To save you reading the waffle below my question is:
Have any of you now been asked to make contributions towards your care? Did you appeal? Did appealing work? Is it worth the effort and the stress?

If I don't have PA's coming in any more I will be a burden to my family again, which I really don't want but neither do I have much choice. I don't have £600 plus spare a month

I really don't want to but feel I must appeal, the thing is nothing will have changed so the out come will be the same won't it?

Apparently they have changed their criteria for funded care. I'm 47 on ESA DLA and I own my home, live on my own and have 3 cats.

For the last 2 years my care has been paid for by the council, they are currently paying for my life line to, which I'm very grateful for, my PA's are wonderful.

I get reassessed yearly, and have always met their criteria for funding. I have 2 hrs a day of care (expected on weekends when I have 2hrs over the whole weekend)
the care company charge £17 per hr and are exceptional. They do general household bits and bobs to. One of them does a couple of hr extra cleaning for me every month which I pay her cash for.

I just don't know what to do or where to turn

PS: sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section I wasn't sure where here or Doc's and Health services
Sals
UKFM Member

Re: Funded care now costs me £155 per wk

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi Sals

Soory to hear this.

I am not aware at the moment of anyone having to fund there own carers. I know many people who's care has been dramaticaly cut because of cuts on funding. Also depends on your area where you live to the amount your given and also what care intails within this.

Where I live all they are allowed to do is come in, wash, dress you and leave. Anything else like help with shopping, meals, house work and help to appointments etc have been taken away and you have to pay private organisations.

In other areas the funding has been sharply cut but they are able to include other duties.

I am assuming your under the social services?

Have they looked into your financial situation? Can I ask what reason they have given you for you now needing to pay? (what in the criterea has changed for you?) you can always PM me if its personal and you want to answer.

Its just without knowing the whole picture Im not sure if I can help as I dont know of this as I dont have carers and no one I know who does have, have not been effected in this way.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Sals » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 pm

hi Lisa
Yes I'm with social services.

Nothing has changed in my life it's a case of them moving the goal posts, I've had enough to be honest. It takes a toll have to press and practically beg for help and then there's appeals, omg it's just never ending.

Yeah my PA's took me shopping and just take me out for a walk around the green, my cats always come too (not shopping). I love the outside.

Still I have family thats more than a lot of people.

My incomings are the same as last years assessment and I have no savings. This is going to have such a devastating effect on me losing the care, still life sucks and I was just wondering if anyone else had been through this and could offer some advice.

The criteria that has changed is they no longer deduct, life-line, adjustable beds, stairlifts and there was something else but I can't remember what it was!!

Thank you for replying to me *hugs*
Sals
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Have PM you :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits