Could it be fibromyalgia?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Could it be fibromyalgia?

Postby Tejay » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi,
I am writing for some advice and suggestions from people's experience of fibromyalgia as I am wondering it I have it myself.
Nearly six years ago when I have my son my hands started aching and feeling stiff. I have been tested for arthritis and was told there is some sign of inflammation but I could get that when I'm on my period (useful). Anyway this has continued for six years nearly and now effects my arms too. My arms ache a lot as do my legs and it aches to wash/dry my hair, hang out washing, change a duvet cover and hands ache just to hold things sometimes. More recently with my hands they have started to tingle now and then. My legs ache a lot and can ache from walking up a flight of stairs. My legs will more often than not ache when I go to bed and then still be aching when I wake up. My arms over the last couple of weeks have been the same and my hands always ache. When I wake I have pain in my back every morning which does go once I've been up for a while and I find it hard to get out of bed. I used to be able to just get up and go but now I find that I feel achy and tired and it takes me an hour or so to feel awake. My body will continue to ache throughout the day however I find getting on with stuff stops my thinking about it. When I rest I ache all over again...it doesn't seem like resting actually makes me feel much better and sometimes I wake up feeling worse than when I went to bed. I quite often just fall asleep early in the evening as I am so tired and if I don't fall asleep I don't feel I have the energy to do anything, it all seems like a lot of effort. I can go to bed and sleep (I say sleep but actually I wake very often on and off) but still wake up feeling bad. Sometimes resting almost seems like it makes me feel worse than keep moving.
The last couple of days I have been experiencing the left side of my face and scalp feeling sore to touch, it almost feels like sunburn on my scalp and like someone has slapped me round my face. I had had this before but have had again last night and reoccurred again today, never had it one day after the other.
I have been to the doctors a couple of times about this which resulted in blood tests but nothing came of it. This weekend has been difficult and it's beginning to get me down. Everything seems to be an effort and I'm tired of aching so much and not knowing why. I constantly feel as if I have done a tough workout the day before.
I was just wondering whether it would be worth going back to the doctors and if so whether I suggest anything? I feel uncomfortable to say or make suggestions but wondered if from other people's experiences this sounds anything like fibromyalgia?
Any advice would be gratefully received as this has gone on for a couple of years now (to this extent) and I've just left it as I didn't know whether it'd be looked at as making a fuss over nothing or general comments of working full time and having children will make you tired. I just don't think at 37 my body should feel the way it does.
Tejay
UKFM Newbie

Re: Could it be fibromyalgia?

Postby LindyM66 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:02 am

Hi TJ

It certainly sounds like FM. Push your GP for a referral to rheumatology. Tell him everything you've just written down here.
Don't just accept the " oh it's your age" " it's your period" - you know your body, like no other.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Tejay » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:52 am

Thank you, I've got an appointment for this afternoon. But scared to go in and suggest anything but I'm so fed up of feeling like this now. I almost feel that the doctor won't believe me. I feel bad for having called into work sick today but at the same time I need to as I have been putting it off so long. I work in education and always tell myself "next half term I'll see the doctor" but then I don't do it or I don't feel as bad so I don't think I should go. I'll see what this afternoon brings.
Tejay
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:56 am

I agree with Lindy but there is also another way round if your able and thats to pay for a one off physio or osteopathy session. They will know your bodys mechanical side and can see/feel if your body is not right also *for your age* etc.... They check the spine, joint movements, stiffness, reflexes, ask about symptoms. A general all over check up. They can then summerise what they feel is *going on* and if need be they can write a letter to your GP with there findings if they feel you need further investigations.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Tejay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Well I went to the doctors and she said she is 99% certain it is fibromyalgia. Has given me a months worth of antidepressants and then need to go back. I'm due back in about a week now. Seems to have helped a little. I don't feel as bad on a daily basis so that's good news. I can tell when I'm going to have a bad day a bit more now. I'll see what happens at the next appointment.
Tejay
UKFM Newbie

Postby creamcrackered » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Tejay

Was it Fibro?
creamcrackered
UKFM Newbie

Return to General Topics