Want to read more but I'm a bit foggy. Maybe later. Seems good so far x

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia is real

Postby shithappens » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello!

Hope you all had a nice Crimbo............. :-D

Went back to the GP today saw another one hoping he was going to be more helpful.... he said he would be honest with me and advised that there is NO other medication to take except for amitriptyline and that I was to increase it..I was to do exercise , fill sink in the morning to soak my hands (this will help with me typing all day even though I can hardly move my fingers, wrists and arms) and return back to work and work through the pain everyday with paracetamol and tats that! No need to read or join forums as EVERYONE has an opinion or cure which isn't going to work! If I don't work I will get the sack and no one will want to employ me because of fibro... I will not get benefits and if I do it wont be for long... so if I don't just get on with things then I will have no job and live my life like this.

Please could I have some feedback?

Many thanks
shithappens
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Fortune teller is he? can predict the future? know exactly whats going to happen and how :roll:

These doctors dont put things in the best of ways!

I suppose what im reading is that he suggests you do not stop working as hes seen how many people are fighting for there benefits and to work through the pain. Not sure how a bowl of hot water can zap away fairy_dust the fibro pain ALL day long fairy_dust

There are many medications that can help. A referal to a pain clinic who has even further options for pain relief.

Lots of therapies like acupuncture/physio/massage/hydrotherapy any kind of relaxation techniques like meditation.

Stretching exercises like pilates

Then theres CBT to help manage/control pain by giving you techniques to pace etc...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:59 pm

He does have a point about opinions and cures - I've had any number of helpful suggestions from people - change my diet, use this drug, try this alternative therapy.....but so far very few other than vitamin supplements have been of any benefit. I think I was lucky when I went to see my GP at first, since I knew what to expect if it was fibro, and that there was no cure or magic way of making the pain go away. It must be hard for those who don't know this from the word go - not only do I seem to have a mild case, but I also had no expectations of help from the NHS....wish I had something more positive to give you :(
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:02 pm

I would love to sit down and have my ten minutes worth of conversation with this Dr. Hell, I would even pay for an extra ten minutes.

It really is a shame that Dr's are not given more information. There has to be some sort of department somewhere that insists Dr's become more knowledgeable about illnesses that at one point not very common. Are there no bulletins from Health Services offering info for Dr's. We can't blame Dr's all the time if there are no rules about education updates.

I know that not all Dr's have this lack of knowledge. Some will go way out to find info for their patients.

Can you try to see another Dr or talk to the office manager about them obtaining some information for the Dr's?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby pwinstanley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Change GP and/ or Practice! Gentle hugs for the new year:-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
pwinstanley
UKFM Member

Postby sarahbridgewater81 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Wow what a lot of words, found that difficult to read which is something i never found difficult before until recently.

Might read a bit at a time and hopefully that will be better but good to know its real and that im not mad
sarahbridgewater81
UKFM Member

Postby Mandy1970 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and ME. Been absent from work since February, worrying about how I will cope when I go back
. I do 13 hour shifts as a Clinical support worker, supporting adults with learning disabilities and challenging behaviours. Think I'll go get advice from CAB.

Hope to chat
:) x :-D
Mandy1970
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jasperheidi » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi....ive just joined this forum. Id like to share my experience in the hope it helps others. My fms symptoms of pain and chronic fatigue are apparently due to haemachromatosis!!! It took nearly 2 years to diagnose!...please have fasting iron studies(simple blood test) to rule in r out!...the condition is v common and easily treated and already ive relief of symptoms!...its a condition where you store too much iron...its treated by venesection....like giving blood donation until levels fall to low normal range...Everyone experiencing widespread muscle pain + fatigue......Get fasting iron blood test PLEASE!
Jasperheidi
UKFM Member

Postby puaa001 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Very good article..
puaa001
UKFM Member

Postby Eian Mcneely » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Very interesting information…just like other illnesses fibro is one
Eian Mcneely
UKFM Member

Postby William_VRiley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:02 am

hey martin is a decent artical and the first iv seen that explians why in the event that I push on and accomplish something that is painfull to do the torment diminishes enabling me to do it, despite the fact that it returns hard when I stop.
William_VRiley
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to General Topics