Help me help my wife

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help me help my wife

Postby davidc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm

Hello all. firstly I am not the one who has Fibromyalgia.
it's my wife. I am struggling to help support her can anyone give me please give me some pointers as I am really struggling to understand Fibromyalgia and how best to support her
davidc
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help me help my wife

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi David,

I've just recently been diagnosed with FM, after becoming unwell in Feb. My whole body seized up.
I think it gave my husband a fright actually. And me! I was off work for a month.
I think one of the most important things for me, regarding support from my husband, was him listening to me - believing me when I said I was in pain - and educating himself what FM is, and how it can affect a person. That was really important. I also asked my line manager and colleagues to do the same, as how can they help me, when they don't understand what the condition is, and how it affects me. It's a chronic, lifelong condition, nd symptoms can change day to day.
When I was at work the other day, my husband had moved all the kitchen cupboards around - putting the dishes on the lower shelf etc. coz I can't reach up properly. Its those simple things that make all the difference. And of course the usual stuff - helping with housework etc. If u see her struggling, take over.
Ask her how you can help her :-)
My husband would be better answering your question, but he's at work.

Take Care
Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics