Choking easily on drinking

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Choking easily on drinking

Postby Roselil » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:28 pm

hello there fellow sufferers. I have recently had several bad choking fits, being totally unable to get my breath for sometime, but yesterday was the worst one ever, just drinking a little water. I know my throat and chest muscles are extremely weak, and have been for years, and that I also have M.E., but wondered if anyone else with severe Fibro has had this too. My husband, who is my carer, was shocked that it lasted so long. The only thing which seemed to help me suddenly was swishing down gulps of 7-up, when I somehow managed to get some breath again. Today, my jaw is out and very painful and swollen and my neck also. I am just rubbing in aloe vera gel, and put a heated microwave type scarf around my neck. I have lost my voice as jaw can hardly move. Only manage to eat soup. I know I have been quite amazed the many symptoms that can arise through Fibro, even the constant pain in the eyes. Any thoughts?
Roselil
UKFM Member

Re: Choking easily on drinking

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Yes, I suggest you go see your dentist. Get them to make you a mouthguard which you wear each night and if need be in the day. This will help relax the muscles in your jaw/neck & throat helping swollowing and any stiffness & spasms. Sounds like you have TMJ http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/temporoman ... ction.aspx which is a very commen fibro associated condition (to which i also have)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Roselil » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks Lisa for your suggestions, but I do not grind my teeth, as I have hardly got any left. Yes, you are quite correct, I do have TMJ. Trouble is all the extra coughing and choking with mucus I have had over the last 3 months, due to this nasty virus infection, has not helped, so am now left with the results. Also I can choke just on water, which is quite a hazard, and the only thing that saved me recently was swilling 7-up down my throat! It was a near thing.
Roselil
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi Roselil

I've had this issue for a couple of years now. I even choke on my own saliva. Its blooming embarassing when eating out.
I don't choke - what happens is that my food, drink seems to "go down the wrong hole". Like swallowing a pringle side on! So painful.
I have cameras up my nose, down my throat, video xrays - no structural abnormalities. The drs think that the muscles in my throat spasm.
I do sympathise.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Roselil » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:22 am

Dear Lindy, I have just found your kind reply, thank you, but am terribly sorry you also have this trouble of choking easily. Yes, I too, have choked on my own saliva. In fact, with the recent viral infection, mucus and saliva has been the main problem. I almost lost it altogether though 3 weeks ago just with drinking water that seemed to go down the wrong way. It was only gulping 7-Up which saved me, and the Lord, of course, as it was obviously not my time to go yet. Perhaps you could also keep some 7-Up to hand. I have it by my side all the time now. I have TMJ so any coughing, straining just puts out my jaw, and it is jolly painful and swollen too.

Love from Roselil
Roselil
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi, yes I've had this problem for 10 years now. So is choking a known symtom of fibro. It's scary. Sometimes it feels like your airway is closing.I didn't know it was associated with the condition.I agree it's very embarrassing.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:10 pm

I do hope you recover quickly.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics