Fibro newbie

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro newbie

Postby MarkD » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all, apologies for what may be some dumb questions, but i have only recently been diagnosed with FM and i seem to have more questions than answers at the moment!
Q1. I seem to tick many of the 'ailments' boxes, but not all, especially when i read about the amount of pain that many of you suffer. I get a degree of aches and pains but nothing on the scale of others. I also don't seem to have all the painful pressure points that seem to be 'required' to be a fully paid up member. Does everyone get all the symptoms to the same degree, do they get worse and i am just lucky so far?
Q2. The initial reason for visiting my GP was due to a breathing issue. I partake in long distance swimming events and up until 18 months ago had never had a problem with my breathing, even after 7 hours of swimming. But almost overnight i seem to have become really short of breath and struggle to swim a few lengths without being out of breath. I have had many detailed tests/examinations on heart and lungs and researched this quite thoroughly to no avail. Does anyone else experience a similar issue?

I ask these questions as i'm not sure if i have something other than FM, and this was just a 'best guess' by my GP, or maybe the breathing and FM are unrelated separate issues.

Kind regards and thanks for letting me join your forum.
Mark
MarkD
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro newbie

Postby perseus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Welcome Mark

I'm sure Fibromyalgia suffers cover a range of pain levels and disabilities. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by two consultants yet wouldn't nearly make the criteria for disability benefit. I went on a 4 and half mile walk today, and used to swim 50 lengths a session which is supposedly a good exercise for sufferers. However, exercising at a high level would exacerbate the symptoms, and I had to give up swimming. I suspect the most severe sufferers are more likely to get diagnosed, but that doesn't mean those with lesser pain don't have the same problem.

The American Rheumatology Society deem Fibromyalgia to be present when at least 11 of the 18 points are tender or painful to pressure. http://ukfibromyalgia.com/what-is-fm.php

The NHS say it is severe pain in three to six different areas of your body, or you have milder pain in seven or more different areas, your symptoms have stayed at a similar level for at least three months and no other reason for your symptoms has been found.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... nosis.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: Fibro newbie

Postby MarkD » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 am

Many thanks, I guess some of it is hoping that they've made a mistake and one morning I'm going to wake up like it was a bad dream! Will not let it win though.
MarkD
UKFM Newbie

Return to General Topics