Painful hands

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Painful hands

Postby Sal46 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:45 pm

I have recently started to have very painful hands (one much worse than the other). The pads at the base of the fingers are swollen and hot to touch. If I clench my fist it is very painful and on occasions the ring finger gets stuck in a bent position and I have to tease it back to position.

Does anybody get anything like this? I visited my GP today and he didn't seem to be sure what it is. He suggested that it could be arthritic changes or neuropathic pain linked to my diabetes. I am not much wiser and still in pain.

I would be interested to hear from anyone.
Sal46
UKFM Newbie

Re: Painful hands

Postby Garyl » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 pm

I have had this for 6 years and only after a recent stay in hospital did i get medication that worked, they are called Naproxen and seemed to work with in 3 days of startin on them.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby NanB » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory and supposedly much easier on the stomach than the likes of Ibuprofen. I was advised to change so I tried it and within a week it had flared my stomach so badly (I had a gastric band at the time) the swelling and soreness stopped me being able to eat and barely drink so I had to have the band opened. I have heard of several other people who had no problems with it but it had no effect and then my dad who used it and said it was great...so each to their own obviously! Worth just trying an Ibuprofen to see if an anti-inflammatory helps then maybe ask your Doc if you can try it. I have very bad hand and wrist pain that does ease off sometimes but mostly not. A very strong girl all my life until the last few years and now I have trouble gripping and lifting most things...frustrating! Anyway good luck, hope you find something that works. :-)
NanB
UKFM Newbie

Postby Magsamum » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 am

I'm very new to Fibro but I have had another medical reason to take Naproxen and I have used it on and off for about 6 years now. It is an excellent anti inflammatory pain killer but you must not take it without taking A gasto resistant first and always with food. My doctor prescribes Omeprazole. I find now that I must take my Naproxen daily and yes I do worry about the affect on my stomach but the Omeprazole for now is working brilliantly. Hope this info helps.
Magsamum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fallen » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi, I too started getting pain in my hands and my GP sent me for X-ray and it came back I have the start of osteoarthritis in both thumbs and third knuckle of my right hand, I can't clench my fish on that hand. It also looks like me left wrist is going the same way. But my Fibro is causing the pain to be worse or that's what it seems like. Apart from all the medication I was given capsicum cream (chillie) and it does help a wee bit but I needs to put on 3/4 times a day which I struggle to remember to do in my busy day at work. Good luck.
Fallen
UKFM Newbie

Postby april.goddard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 pm

I too am relatively new to Fibromyalgia - I have lived with this for a number of years before it was diagnosed, I have also the problems with my hands swelling and very painful. After the usual x-ray and blood tests they said that I have got Oestio-arthiritis. I also have become allergic to naproxen (and every anti inflamatray in the cox 1 family) to.
april.goddard
UKFM Newbie

Postby becbob » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:57 am

I get the exact same symptoms in my hands. My doctor said it was fibro as all other tests came back fine. I also get similar symptoms in my feet. I've been suffering with this for over 2 years now and I have yet to find anything to help with the swelling, pain and burning. I just have good days, ok days and bad days. Having fibro sucks!
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby JavieRickson1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis are the two most common types of arthritis in the hand
JavieRickson1
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia