The Spoon Theory

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The Spoon Theory

Postby gillshutt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:49 am

The Spoon Theory is a great way to explain to friends and family what it's like to have FM.

You can find it HERE

Give it a read, it's a great story.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

lupus

Postby princess » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:52 am

Very interesting i know someone who has Lupus, she was very ill for about l year and still isnt 100%
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 am

Lupus, like MS, is one of those illnesses with similar symptoms to FM. Luckily for us FM doesn't affect organs.

Any good rheumy will have ruled out MS and lupus before giving an FM diagnosis, although it is possible to have FM and either of the others.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Here's another useful site for people trying to explain to family and friends...

HERE
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby mistyblu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:31 pm

I have used the Spoons Theory to explain to friends how i feel and how tired i get, they said they understood how my condition affected me much better after reading it.
My boyfriend said after reading it that if it would make me feel better he would buy up all the spoons in the world for me....... how lucky I am to have such a wonderful man in my life.
mistyblu
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:02 am

I read the spoon theory some time ago and thought how fantastic it was for explaining everyday life, I showed it to some of my family.

luuluu
xxxxx
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby Loopy lou » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:19 pm

:roll:

That's excellent, i just explained it to my husband and he thought it was the best explanation i gave for my FM, any ideas on how to explain the pain????
Loopy lou
UKFM Member

the spoon theory

Postby ddg1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:27 pm

What a great story..............well worth reading.

:D
ddg1
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:29 pm

One word - Quota
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby Strawberry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:23 am

A great story.. Thankyou for posting this :)
Strawberry
UKFM Member

Spoons

Postby Genie65 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Just had a look at the "spoons" explanation - it is excellent, such a graphic description of how it is to have Lupus and Fibro plus osteoarthritis. Thanks for this. Genie65
Genie65
UKFM Member

Postby iwh54 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:41 pm

:) I have just read the Spoon Theory through twice and I have to say it sums up life with FM exactly.It will make it easier for my friends and family to understand what is happening to me. And I can save some energy by not having to try and explain. :wink: :D
iwh54
UKFM Member

Postby Jainey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:05 pm

The spoons story is a really good way of explaining the felings of being limited. Strawberry is your avatar from WOW?
Jainey
UKFM Newbie

Postby Julie C » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:01 am

I am glad a lot of you think this is a good way of describing your FM to friends and family, but I beg to differ (sorry! :oops: )

I don't want to burden my friends and family with my day to day struggle with FM, I'd rather put on a brave face and get on with things.

If I wake in the morning and feel so achey and stiff I can hardly move, I don't - I stay there!

If I have to cancel a shopping trip because my legs just can't cope with a hike around the shops, I just say I will have to cancel because I'm having a bad day.

If I am so tired and achey I can't manage to cook the evening meal for my family, I don't, I order a takeaway!

I have become frustrated with the medical profession regarding this illness, I keep taking the pills my rheumatologist prescribed me, but I can't say they help.

It is frustrating when people say I look so well, so what's up with me? I just tell them that I ache all over, all day, every day, and I don't have much energy, oh, I also find it difficult to concentrate at times (which is embarrassing when holding a conversation sometimes!), most of them are sympathetic (for a moment, then they go onto something else!). It used to bother me that they didn't want to know the ins and outs of this condition, but now I feel that as they can't do anything about it, why burden them with it?

This illness/condition can make you feel very isolated at times, even in a room full of people I often feel alone, but it is up to me to deal with this.

I don't see how telling my friends and family how I really feel most of the time will achieve anything, in fact it would make me feel worse because I would feel guilty about making them feel they weren't able to take my pain away and that would be a very negative feeling.

Life can be very miserable with FM, if you let it, but as my rheumatologist told me at my last appointment, "take your medication, stay positive, don't let it take over your life and get on with things!". I was stunned and taken aback by his comments at first, I thought he was being very unfeeling towards me and I left the hospital feeling really depressed, but actually I think it was the best advice he could have given me. There is no known cure for FM, only drugs to ease the symptons, so now I am trying to stay positive, not letting it take over my life, and I'm getting on with things! Some days are better than others, but when I look around me and see that there are always people worse off than me, I don't feel so bad about it.

Oh well, time for bed, I wonder how long it will take me to get comfortable? How many times will I wake throughout the night? My 25mgs of Amitriptyline is supposed to help, but doesn't! When did I last wake in the morning feeling refreshed? (Joke of the week!!) How bad will my aches and pains be tomorrow? Will I even remember what I did today? What caused this FM? Why me? Why not me?!!

Goodnight all :?
Julie C
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ivyleaf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:52 pm

I'm actually a member of the forum where the member who wrote that Spoon Theory is and she's a lovely person. :wink:
Ivyleaf

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia