Is this Fibro pain? Or something else?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this Fibro pain? Or something else?

Postby Harper27 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 am

Hi I'm sorry I don't know where to post this as I'm quite new to this board and the world of fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed just last month with fibromyalgia and I'm noticing that the pain is becoming more frequent and lasting much longer. I have several different kinds of pain but I most commonly have a dull ache in the affected area (back, arms, legs etc.) Or a shooting pain. It's usually not too bad, it's more annoying than anything, but sometimes when I'm walking my hip feels like it's being ripped out of its socket. It's excruciatingly painful. Does this happen to anyone else? Also I started having muscle spasms about midway through last year. They don't hurt, it's more like a weird jerky contraction. Does this happen to anyone else with Fibro? Again they're not painful and they're over pretty quickly. They last less than a second usually. Sorry for so many questions I'm just very new to this and it's all pretty confusing. If anyone can answer these questions I would really really appreciate it. Xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Re: Is this Fibro pain? Or something else?

Postby *Lisa* » Sun May 07, 2017 12:23 pm

:welcome: Harper

I have just kept this topic on the boards as they both seem the same and this is the best place for your answers.

Muscle spasms are apart of fibro but if they become painfull and dibilitating see your GP as muscle spasms can also be from other back problems.

Hip pain again can be another fibro symptom but if your unsure and its a new symptom it always best to get this checked out as fibro can mimick that of many other problems.

I myself have been caught up thinking its fibro (even my GP) and it wasnt. By the time I realised & GP things had really progressed. So I always stress to members to always get new symptoms checked out as a precaution.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Harper27 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Lisa. Again I wasn't really sure where to put the question so thanks for informing me. This was actually one of my first symptoms and I just didn't know if it was connected to fibro.
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby Harper27 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Can no one else help me on this at all? Xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby banana » Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Harper, sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I've had mine for just under a year so I know how scary it can be. I too get severe hip pain, like it's been dislocated. I have had jerking muscles, spasms and shakes for years and used to put it down to just being clumsy. Mine don't tend to hurt unless I spasm in to something or drop something heavy etc! There are things the GP can do for muscle relaxers if it gets really bad. I am still coming to terms with fibromyalgia and it's not easy so I hope I have at least put your mind at rest!
banana
UKFM Member

Postby Harper27 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:05 am

Thank you so much for your reply Banana, im very sorry to hear about your hip pain, it truly is excruciating when that type of pain comes about. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often for me. I do have an appointment with my doc so I will definitely ask about my muscle spasms. They seem to happen constantly ever since they appeared and it's rather frustrating. Also if anyone could help me answer this question then that would be amazing. I first started getting fibro symptoms after a major depressive episode, but the symptoms only progressed further this year. I have been on antidepressants for over 4 months now and for a while I didn't really have any problems but I've noticed my pain getting worse. Is this likely due to the stress I experience worsening the fibromyalgia or is it a side effect from the antidepressants (Fluoxetine)? Again I had symptoms before starting them but I'm a very anxious person and worry that I don't actually have Fibro (even though it's been diagnosed) and have generally 15/16 tender points. I had all 18 when the doctor did the test that diagnosed me but I'm still very anxious about stuff like this lol. Much appreciation if anyone can offer some insight! Xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby Eian Mcneely » Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 am

Hi harper, Pain and fibromyalgia are normal being together. It’s something that can’t get away easily especially tweaking in legs and arms very often. Don’t get yourself depressed hope things will change positively for you.
Eian Mcneely
UKFM Member

Postby Harper27 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:42 am

Thank you Eian, I will try my hardest! Xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby dko » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:50 pm

I have the hip pain too, just in my right hip. It feels exactly like you describe, like my hip is about to dislocate. Sometimes the hip collapses and won't bear my weight. I also have knee pain and my arms burn after the smallest amount of activity. Sometimes I get a stabbing pain between the shoulder blades and in the muscles at both sides of my spine. Turning my trunk just slightly from straight ahead results in an 'electric shock' of pain in my back that causes a rapid intake of breath. Just being touched anywhere on the abdomen causes a spasm. Nightmare!
dko
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia