Exercise

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Exercise

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 pm

I've been aware for quite some time that my fitness and my muscle tone have deteriorated over the years since diagnosis (2012), and I finally decided to do something about it. I started running again (having been a runner, cyclist and weight trainer previous to the FM hitting me) 3 weeks ago, and have already got my distance up to 2 miles and am running at a pace of 9.25 minutes per mile. I started in the middle of a very bad pain bout after several days of very poor sleep. The ongoing result of this exercise is less pain, and some specific issues that have been causing me problems for months (e.g. high pain levels in achilles tendons and calves) have completely vanished. I am aware that I'm unusual in that my only health issues are FM and mild asthma, but even so, I was surprised how easy it was to get back into it and how much difference it has made already. This is against all the advice about pacing (which I have always ignored anyway) so may not suit other people.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Exercise

Postby LindyM66 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:54 am

Hi SC

That's great it's had such a positive impact on you. I can't manage high impact activities at the moment - but if I'm being honest, I was never a runner anyway :-)
I do enjoy a walk with my dogs, when my body allows me to. Although given a diagnosis of FM last year, the neuro thinks it may be "summit else". We'll see once Ive had MRI.
I do gentle stretching exercises and do keep myself mobile, ( unless I'm having a real sh*tty day) as I tend to find I seize up if I sit around too long.
Keep up the good work, and I hope it continues to be beneficial.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am

SchroedingersCat

I attempted to get back into running, soon after contracting FM. However, any attempt to step up the pace resulted in injuries. Eventually I had to accept that even pacing up to a high level wasn't feasible. The muscles just wouldn't do anything with high impact (such as running) without injury. I could see the bruises beneath the skin. That's why I believe there's more to the problem than perceived pain. Of course we may be under the same label with different illnesses.

I'm glad you ave managed to recover so fast though.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Bobby16 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Before I became unwell four years ago. I cycled 3 or 4 times a week 20 miles. I've skied, absailed, ice skated. I couldn't hold on to a rope now. I won't be able to ski again. Newly diagnosed Raynaud's. Yeh
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:50 am

perseus wrote:SchroedingersCat

I attempted to get back into running, soon after contracting FM. However, any attempt to step up the pace resulted in injuries. Eventually I had to accept that even pacing up to a high level wasn't feasible. The muscles just wouldn't do anything with high impact (such as running) without injury. I could see the bruises beneath the skin. That's why I believe there's more to the problem than perceived pain. Of course we may be under the same label with different illnesses.

I'm glad you ave managed to recover so fast though.

I kept running and cycling when I was first diagnosed. Over the last 4 years though, a combination of a long commute to an office job and rising pain levels have meant I let it all slide. I've no bruising and no injuries. I think you may be right that we don't have the same illness.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 pm

I would suffer serious injury if I tried anything at the moment. Getting in and out of a car is difficult. I say to hell with it I'm trying everything. I try but physically unable currently. I keep thinking , yes I'll be able to do that again.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Nidge » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Do you guys not get the fatigue and weakness. That's stopping me walk this year
Nidge
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes severe fatigue.unable to move at times. To tired to think or have a life.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 am

I also get horrendous fatigue at times. However, this past couple of weeks, I have started walking my dogs by myself ( hubby has been doing it for the last couple of months). Short walk - 15 min plod 1 direction, 15 min plod back. And you know, I do feel better for it.
I've been off work the last couple of months, as my mobility took a little dive. Decided Im not sitting waiting til scans, tests, are done, and Drs deciding what's up with me. Trying to take my life back, albeit different, in small chunks.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia