Do you have to be in constant pain to have fibro?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do you have to be in constant pain to have fibro?

Postby Harper27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 am

Hiya so I was diagnosed with both CFS and Fibro. I do experience pain most days even if only for a short period but some people say that fibro is a constant pain all the time. Does it just depend on the severity of which you have it? Luckily my pain is generally quite tolerable and mild but sometimes it can be worse, like moderate. Sometimes although thankfully not too often it can be quite severe where my whole body feels like it's cramping up and then someone decided it would also be fun to set me on fire. Generally, it's mild to moderate. I have a few questions as I'm still relatively new to fibromyalgia so if anyone could answer them that would be amazing. Also does anyone know what I mean when I say that a lot of the time the affected area is more 'uncomfortable' than properly painful? If you get what I . Ran lol :lol: Also I often get unequally affected limb pain, like one leg or arm hurts at a time. Does anyone else get this? Idk maybe at least for now I have one of the milder cases of fibro which I suppose I should be lucky for as I've had a few severe flare and I would hate to endure that on a regular basis and I'm sorry for any who do. My pain is generally not constant. I do get pain in an area that may last a week or 2 but I also get a lot of good days. Can anyone help me with these questions lol I'm so sorry for making this so long. Also does anyone get pains that are very similar to growing pains that some children get? (Even though I think a lot of doctors say that it's a myth) anyway thank you so much xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Re: Do you have to be in constant pain to have fibro?

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes you do have constant pain with fibro but this can be in all sorts of ways from aches & pains to stiffness and nerve pain etc.... can be dull nagging pain can be severe dibilitating pain. Varies alot person to person and can vary each hour/day.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Harper27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. When I was diagnosed with fibro I was quite scared that the pain was going to get worse and more often. Is it an absolute requirement to be in CONSTANT pain to have fibro is what I mean, as I experience pain most days but it is not necessarily constant, there can be breaks. Or maybe my brain is ignoring the pain which my doctor has said to be before? I have no idea. Can anyone help with this xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20 pm

When mine started, I had breaks, sometimes for a couple of days. For the last few years however it has been constant, something, somewhere on my body (usually hip or back) always hurts now. Pain levels vary from vaguely irritating to 'time for a lie down'.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Harper27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:13 pm

SchroedingersCat (love your name btw!)

That makes sense to me, as my fibro is I think in the beginning stages where I guess the patterns are a bit all over the place. Thanks so much for your reply it helps a lot by learning the patterns of people with fibro, especially in the beginning. I guess it depends on the person xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby Nidge » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:41 pm

My pain was that like that at first, the last couple of years I got some improvement but bang, its worse than ever now and my arms hurt every day. My toes are painful right now too but the exhaustion is worse, feel wiped out
Nidge
UKFM Member

Postby dko » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm

I ache all over normally, to varying degrees every day. Four days ago I had to do some DIY on a house we're doing up. After feeling ok in the morning, it went rapidly downhill. I suffered horrendous muscle spasms in my back. I couldn't move for a couple of hours and spent the next day in bed. Damned fibro!
dko
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia