Hip pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hip pain

Postby banana » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi all, on and off for around 6/7 months I have been getting pain in my hip- It has got increasingly worse recently and today I have hit my pain barrier and need some help. Pain killers seem to take the edge off if I rest, but are useless otherwise- I can't always rest with my job as a lot of time is spent standing/ walking. I take the odd 5-10 mins out to rest and take pain killers, but as soon as I am working again it gets worse after a while. I have tried to get a doctors appointment but not succeeded so will try again tomorrow, but is there some kind of hip support I can wear? I have images of myself with getting a walking stick, but i don't know how useful it will be and I am only 27 so bit self-conscious too. help please :(
banana
UKFM Member

Re: Hip pain

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Banana

Have you tried heat pads? I find heat helps greatly. I experience brutally sore bum cheeks, and the tightness spreads to my hamstrings. I end up walking like Parker out the Thunderbirds.
I used the adhesive heat pads. Pound shops sell them. You get 2 in the box, and they work just as well as the expensive ones. Can't hurt to try them. Remember, don't stick them directly onto your skin, as they do get hot.

I hope you get some relief.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby banana » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks Lindy. I have tried heat pads- I have arthritis in my neck (as well as the fibro) and I rely on heat pads, particularly in winter. I have a heat pack made from clay which I use as well and I have been applying this to my hip- if it is only aching then this helps, but nothing seems to be working when the pain is more severe. I went to the doctors today and she thinks I may have sciatica and its not related to my fibromyalgia at all. I am a but dubious about this as nothing has happened to bring it on and its been happening for months and months. She is referring me to a physio but just told me to go away and do pilates.... I struggle with yoga at the minute so I am not sure I can cope with pilates yet. On the one hand I am thinking maybe an MRI would be able to see if something is going on in my sciatic nerve, but on the other hand it feels like the pain I have else where when it is attributed to fibromyalgia... and the GP didn't order me any scans, although maybe I can ask the physio. At a bit of a loss as to what I can do for myself whilst I wait for the physio referral. I don't have a bath so I can't do that, ibuprofen gel cools my skin down but does little else for me- Im going to take a higher dosage of amatryptline and co-codomal, but it makes me drowsy and I don't feel safe to drive (which I need to...) ARRRGHH this is not how I want to live.
x
banana
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Banana,

No, being in pain all the time is hellish and no way to live. Impacts on so much in life, doesn't it.
What about asking your GP for a change in meds? Amitriptyline didn't work for me - only gave me a hangover feeling in the morning, which I couldn't cope with. Co-codamol stopped working.
I know take gabapentin, which I am gradually increasing, on advice of neurologist, and I take tramadol 100mgs 4 x a day. Neither of these make me feel drowsy, thankfully.
It was only when I presented myself twice at A & E, did my GP " pull the finger out" and do something! I had been told the same as yourself about referral to physio etc. I was referred to neurology, and I'm currently waiting on an appointment for an MRI.
Don't let your GP be flippant with you or fob you off Banana. Push for referrals.
I have also been using a Medipen for some weeks now, and the difference in my pain and stiffness, and general feeling of well-being, is unreal. I posted about it, and included a link, if you're interested to read about it.
Being off on sick leave for almost 2 months, has helped as well. I was exhausted, but didn't realise how much so, til I was off. We keep plodding on and pushing ourselves, and end up done in! I've to have another 8 week sick line, when this current one is up on the 11th. The rest alone has been great.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia