Recognising people/ things

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Recognising people/ things

Postby Raddi78 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone else has trouble recognising people. I've never been good at it, and if you're in a car there is no chance lol, but recently i can speak to someone one day and not have a clue who they are the next. When they explain who they are it clicks in my brain. It's really embarrassing andmakes me feel awkward.people must think I'm stupid or ignorant. Is this a new fibro symptom or am i going mad? Thanks x
Raddi78
UKFM Newbie

Re: Recognising people/ things

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Oh yes this is certainly me :lol: or I look at someone and think... :-| I know you from somewhere :-? :?: :?: I remember once being out and a lady walked passed and smiled directly at me. Sent my mind on a confusion trip for months!! :shock: :crazy: :crazy: not a clue!! .... until my dog needed her hair cut :roll: I had been visiting the same lady every 3 months for 3 years and never recognised her :yikes: must have been because she wasnt wearing her uniform :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: still bad tho... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Raddi78 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank god I'm not alone!!( although sorry for you!) How do deal with it? It makes me so embarrassed. I work in a very public job where I'm expected to be confident ( and know who's who) and it's making me want to avoid anywhere it might happen ( which lets face it is anywhere and everywhere!) Are there any mind excercises to help or is it a case of just deal with it. It's getting so much worse lately. Thanks for the reply x x
Raddi78
UKFM Newbie

Postby LindyM66 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Raddi,

I don't do this with people whom I know well, but others -yip! Things - yip! Forget what the hell I was going to do! Forget where I was going - yip.
It's a pain in the ass.
"That thing, that goes in the thingmie" is typical of a question from me to my husband.
It seems to be a common symptom of fibro.
I tend to write down things I need to do, in a little notebook, so I won't forget.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 am

I've always been forgetful, and I suspect some people think I'm snubbing them. It's very difficult to go through life with a poor memory especially in a social context. If it's any consolation, psychologists/neurologists believe we forget to make way for more important information and some forgetful people can be more inventive. :idea: In fact remembering everything is a curse and not being able to purge bad memories can lead to mental illness
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia