20 year old looking for answers.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

20 year old looking for answers.

Postby ChloeLRyan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi guys my name is Chloe and I'm 20 years old. I find myself trying to research conditions as my Drs can be pretty useless and don't really try to find out the cause of the pain and just try to mask it. It is thought I have this rare condition that only 20 people have in the world, but I've never had the test or diagnosis! (Which I am trying to get and currently waiting for referrals). I believe I either have either both illnesses or maybe just one (Fibro or Adult Onset Cerebral Folate Deficiency).

My symptoms include; Pain (nerve, muscle, dull, throbbing, shooting, sharp, aching, tightness), fatigue, morning stiffness, painful trigger points, depression, anxiety, can be sensitive to pain, bad memory, difficulty concentrating sometimes, have trouble getting my words out sometimes, chronic migraines, painful periods, problem urinating (sometimes can't start the flow, when it does start it can be slow, or sometimes I can go around 10 times a day maybe more), IBS, numbness & tingling, restless leg syndrome, being too hot or cold (mainly hot), sensitive to bright lights (can only use lamp in my house and always have to wear sunglasses or I get a migraine), muscle spasms, bloating, nausea, prolonged chewing hurts, jaw especially on one side makes a grinding noise, grinding teeth in my sleep, painful joints, feet are always cold, severe lower and higher back pain (most likely related to disc bulge (lumbar), lumbosacral segmentation disorder, L5 is fused to sacrum and slight scoliosis), reduced tolerance for excercise, feeling of swelling without any swelling especially in my knees and hands, difficulty sleeping, occasional dizziness, random chest pain, palpitations (when gone to hospital had normal ECG, blood pressure etc. Been told it must be neurological), hives upon being cold, been told my back, knees, elbows and hips are all hypermobile. I saw a rheumatologist before I suffered most of these symptoms and before I knew I was hypermobile and he told me that I don't have fibro because I couldn't bend my thumbs back but he didn't test my other joints? What do you fellow fibros think? Should I get a second opinion and do my symptoms sound unfamiliar?

Thank you so much for your time, I'm just looking to solve this and hopefully get a diagnosis and maybe get back to work! :shock:
ChloeLRyan
UKFM Newbie

Re: 20 year old looking for answers.

Postby perseus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi Chloe

he told me that I don't have fibro because I couldn't bend my thumbs back

There's a list of typical symptoms of fibromyalgia here

http://ukfibromyalgia.com/what-is-fm.php

hypermobility is typical with children but not with adults with Chronic fatigue syndrome.

Sixty percent of the 60 children and teens they treated for chronic fatigue syndrome also had hypermobility in at least four of their joints. Only 20 percent of the general public has a single hyperflexible joint, such as being able to bend a pinkie 90 degrees backward, touch the thumb to the forearm, or bend at the waist and rest both hands flat on the ground.

http://ukfibromyalgia.com/pages/mistake ... joints.php

I don't think it is a classic symptom of fibro though

Patients with or without fibromyalgia were also compared for the frequency of joint hypermobility. The frequency of joint hypermobility was:

8% in patients with fibromyalgia.
6% in patients without fibromyalgia.
Joint hypermobility was also recognized in 10 of the 32 patients with fibromyalgia who did not exactly meet the ACR criteria. The presence of joint hypermobility was more common in this group than in the controls.

https://www.verywell.com/joint-hypermob ... gia-188184

Yes I would get a second opinion.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: 20 year old looking for answers.

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

I assume you have had bloods taken? checked for auto-immune diseases?...

Does sound like classic fibro & fatigue symptoms as well as problems with your discs & spine.

I also suffer hives tiggered by all sorts like pressure, changes in tempreture, stress & hormones

I also have herniated disc/bulging disc located lower back and some spinal degeneration & oesteoarthritis.

I am under a Rhuematologist specialsit for the hives as my bloods have detected a postive P-ANCA meaning hives and some symptoms could be overlapping into an auto-immune disease.

If your not happy with the consultants outcome then yes always seek a second opinion as you know your own body!

Hypermobility & fibro are a commen connected conditions
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia