Low Oxalate Diet

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Low Oxalate Diet

Postby Googie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 am

Hello everyone

I'm just repeating my introduction to this forum in case anyone missed it. I would be really interested to know if others have linked their symptoms to a diet high in oxalates.

I've joined this forum to offer hope to fellow sufferers.

I have had severe chronic muscle pain, joint pain and bone pain for over 2 years now. Along with the pain I had also had chronic fatigue and bouts of suicidal depression with uncontrollable sobbing. I suspected my symptoms were due to my menopause and/or my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Hypothyroidism. But after stumbling across articles about damaging Oxalates found in plant foods I started a Low Oxalate Diet just 4 weeks ago. Within a matter of days my fatigue and depression were gone and my pains lessened somewhat. My severe symptoms only return when I've inadvertently eaten high oxalate foods. I've read that ridding yourself of oxalates and consequently fibromyalgia symptoms can take months and years, rather than days and weeks. So although starting a low oxalate diet will not be an overnight cure it can be life changing.

As time goes on I hope to report to you the lessening of my painful symptoms and perhaps motivate others to at least try the Low Oxalate Diet.
Googie
UKFM Newbie

Re: Low Oxalate Diet

Postby perseus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Googie

There's a thread here on the Fibromyalgia action site about this diet. Good luck with it.

https://healthunlocked.com/fibromyalgia ... alate-diet
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Interesting. I tried it a couple of years ago. Absolutely no difference whatsoever, I'm afraid. Cutting processed sugar out of my diet did get rid of the fatigue though. I've tired all sorts of exclusion diets, only one that has had any effect was the sugar one. Only thing I haven't tried is excluding Nightshades. Glad to hear you've had better luck.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:59 am

With it being almost 18 years since FM conscripted me to the gang, I think I must have tried all the possible diets/ways of eating at least once, with very little, if any effect at all xx

I've also developed T2 diabetes and am now on medication to help control my glucose levels xx I also follow the higher protein, lower carbs way of eating that is recommended, all of which has helped with my glucose levels being at their steadiest and lowest in over 4 years, as well as gradually losing weight xx

Good luck in seeing if lowering oxalates makes a difference to you, even a small improvement in how you feel can become a big plus with FM in the mix xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia