Your expert advice on my symptoms please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Your expert advice on my symptoms please

Postby Weazie189 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

Hi, I'm Paula I am 48 and have been experiencing chronic lower back pain for 8 months now, it is at its worst first thing in the morning, but improves once I'm up and about, if I walk too much or stand too long it becomes very painful.I am currently going to physio for this, Back pain is my biggest symptom, but also have been experiencing other symptoms, I have recently developed a painful neck and shoulder, which also gives me pain in my upper arm, I sometimes wake up with flu like symptoms where my whole body aches, especially in my legs, I experience fatigue which can affect me for weeks at a time and then I have periods where I'm not affected at all. I also have body twitches and I sometimes jerk. I have also been suffering with IBS and acid reflux.
I would appreciate your thoughts on my symptoms, and if any of this sounds like fibromyalgia. Thank you
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Re: Your expert advice on my symptoms please

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am

The symptoms do seem to fit with fibro but one thing that I read that flagged up was you say you have periods were your not effected at all?... with fibro it’s chronic and consistent, day in day out, no breaks.

If you haven’t I would advise seeing your GP with a symptom list or daily diary. They should do bloods to rule out any other health problems before they look into or diagnose fibro or chronic fatigue syndrome. This is because fibro can mimick that of many different illnesses.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Weazie189 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks for your reply,
The only symptom i don't have every day is fatigue, that can come and go, all other symptoms are daily, my back pain is getting me down, and doctors won't do any imaging to diagnose it, the back pain started as a simple back ache, but has got worse as times gone by,
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:24 am

If you have been having chronic pain which is not relieved by medication etc... for more then 6 months the GP should really look into what is going on. Maybe seek a second opinion by another GP at the practice?

Other then that if you can, book an appointment with a physio or osteopath for an assessment and they should give you more details from there findings and if they feel there is something going on then they can contact your GP to investigate further.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Weazie189 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks I am already going to physio, they want me to strengthen my core muscles, so exercisibg daily and I'm doing back classes once a week. Not convinced this is getting me anywhere though. I have been doing the exercises for months now, and have 3 more classes to do at physio, I'm hoping they will reassess after that, do physiotherapists deal with fibromyalgia?
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 am

Are your currently under the NHS physio?... if so I’m afraid their protocol is just that, exercises and strengthening muscles which is not a bad thing just protocol and probably won’t offer you much more, you’ll be discharged after your sessions. They give you the tools to help maintain yourself. They don’t seem to be able to offer much more these days on NHS. I think if you need additional treatment then the pain clinic can offer more for example acupuncture, hydrotherapy, pain injections etc...Any hands on treatment like massage, deep tissue, trigger point therapy etc will need to be paid for privately.

Physio should know more about fibro then any other professional IMO because it’s a musculoskeletal disorder. I see my physio every 2 weeks for the past 15 years. She has to go on yearly courses I believe to be up to date on illnesses, treatments and management of conditions.

Sometimes when you have completed your sessions and things just do not improve and your GP has exhausted all of their options then you may be referred onto a consultant rheumatologist. They will further investigate by doing things like blood tests, any X-rays, MRIs, and go into your history plus physical assessment.
*Lisa*

Postby Weazie189 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for your reply, I'm very frustrated that I can't get a diagnosis, it may not even be fibromyalgia, maybe arthritis,who knows.
If I could get a diagnosis then I could move forward and deal with the pain I'm experiencing.
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Postby Weazie189 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 am

I forgot to add that yes I am under NHS physio, and the doctors have only done some routine blood tests nothing else. I was waiting for my physio to end before returning back to the doctors.
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am

Blood tests would flag up if you have arthritis, that’s if they checked your inflammation levels.

Yes you’ll need to finish physio course before going back to the GP
*Lisa*

Postby Weazie189 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:24 pm

I returned to the doctors today as in so much pain, I had bloods taken, I know they are checking for RA, what else would they check? Also need to be reassessed by my physio therapist asap, booked in for July 18th but trying to get it sooner.
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:23 pm

They could be just checking inflammation levels to rule out or diagnose arthritis or if their doing broad spectrum then maybe added to the list is things like thyroid, liver function, white and red cell count.

From the results they can do further bloods if need be like for auto immune disorders.

To diagnose fibro is like a process of elimination. Once everything is ruled out then they can focus on a possible fibro diagnoses.
*Lisa*

Postby Weazie189 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Ahhh ok she did say there may be more tests following these ones

Thank you so much for your knowledge and advice x
Weazie189
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia