How do I describe fibromyalgia?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How do I describe fibromyalgia?

Postby Gerry23 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year ago, I haven't told anyone, I have used all sorts of excuses for not being well e.g.: aches & pains are me getting old, tiredness is me over doing it, headaches or sickness I must have eaten something dodgy.
I have decided it's time to tell close family ( I can't keep making excuses) but I don't know what to say, or how to explain it. Can anyone help with a simple explanation please.
Gerry23
UKFM Newbie

Re: How do I describe fibromyalgia?

Postby perseus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Gerry, welcome to the forum. I didn't live in a family, but friends and even close relatives often seem oblivious or sceptical. This isn't helped by some in the medical profession attempting to label it as a psychological condition. There are a few guides that may be helpful, I hope you have more success than me!

https://fibromyalgia.newlifeoutlook.com ... romyalgia/

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fibromya ... et-it.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am

Hi,

I would say I have been diagnosed with a chronic pain condition that comes with many symptoms the main ones being muscle stiffness and pain, fatigue... ( a few other main symptoms that effects you mostly) then I would print off some information or find info over the internet for them to read as it’s too complex to put it into a few words.

I’m sure they will ask questions. If any of your family are concerned and need further information or advice they are welcome to register here and we will help.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Painintheneck » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Gerry, My own definition of fibromyalgia is: a chronic pain syndrome which comprises of only multiple symptoms without verifiable physical changes and which is not transmissable. Sounds almost dismissive, doesn’t it? Perhaps you could ask the person who made your diagnosis how he/she would define it (and let us know the elusive answer).
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia