Mental health issues with fibromyalgia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby sjc » Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 pm

:wave:

Hi there folks, hope all is ok for you. I am just wondering what you all think about the depression/stress/anxiety that comes along with fibromyalgia. I know that most of you are suffering some sort of stress or anxiety because of your isssues with the fms.

I know that depression and anxiety symptoms is a big part of fibromaylgia, and for many sufferers, including myself, I live with both emotional distress as well as the physical pain and fatigue. I can differently tell that one affects the other.....the pain affects my mental state and vice versa....

I would like to know how do you cope with both physical and mental discomfort? What comes first - the pain or the stress? And how do you cope with your emotions when you having a bad flare up?

Love to know how you all cope with having fibromyalgia as well as having stress related problems.

Take care folks. :grouphug:
sjc
UKFM Member

Re: Mental health issues with fibromyalgia

Postby Moo Moo » Sat May 07, 2011 12:12 am

Hiya
Sorry to see you've had no replies to your question, I think there is still a lot of stigma surrounding the term 'Mental Health'! I posted a similar question a while ago on another site and didn't get any response but when I re-wrote the message using the words, depression, anxiety, panic disorder etc I was inundated with replies so I think it is just that most people don't classify themselves with mental health problems too!

I have suffer from mental health problem for many years - a mix of the above all in one big crazy pain inducing mess at times but the at others I know it has been my illnesses that have brought on the problems. I have had many problems/pains over the years that were put down to stress only to be in emergency surgery with the symptoms as they were 'real' and this has cause me to get very very low.

Since being diagnosed with Fibro I have been on a major downer but after a long long wait my psychotherapy appointment came through so currently is is physically/mentally/emotionally difficult as I go from a Fibro group on a monday that tells me to grieve who I was and accept who I now am and my limitations and my therapy on a Thursday where I am dealing with a lot of past trauma plus coming to terms with my new life and the constant pain I'm in.

The therapy is wonderful and certainly worth the wait but the timing is making it all too much to deal with as I cry about Fribro from Monday to Weds night then get anxious about therapy the next day, then sleep Thursday to Sat and sun worry about fibro group!!

Not great advice but just explaining how it is for me - the mental health issues feed the fibro and vice versa so I am just keeping my fingers crossed than once I get better control mentally I will have better control of myself during bad fibro times xx

I would definitely request some mental health talking treatment cause never will you more need controlled emotions/anxiety/panic etc than when you have Fibro. I wish you well and if you would like to PM me please d and we can talk further - mind you I've waffled enough I think!!

Take care and good luck
Xx
Moo Moo
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Sat May 07, 2011 10:39 am

:wave: HI - hope all is well for you.

Yes, I know what you mean about people that are alittle bit confused with the term mental health - alot of people think it is associated with serious mentally ill, like schizophrenics, phycosis and bipolar....But we all know that mental health can cover even stress and anxiety related disorders - sadly, most people do not know that they have a mental health problem until it gets really bad......

I at first did not like the term mental health, but I can hopefully encourage people to understand it a little bit more better. Like a lot of people on here, i too get depressed as a result of my pain and learning difficulties. I have tried numerous pyschological treatments, but sadly most mental health treatments do not take into consideration about those with physical and neurological disorders as well.

I find that on here, alot of people get depression and anxiety problems as a result of their fibromyalgia. Sadly I find doctors are still not recognising depression as a symptom of fibromyalgia. Instead, doctors are quick to blame fibromaylgia as a result of depression, which makes it frustrating for the fibro sufferers.

I hope you are all ok and look forward to hear more replies. Take care. xxxx :penguin:
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby jmarley » Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm

I myself have suffered with depression and anxiety since I was a child of 15, but I did also have all the symptoms of Fibro, but the doctors put my aches and pains down to "growing pains". Since 1996 I have had CBT counselling for the depression and anxiety, but no amount of talking therapies have helped me overcome my depression, I was even told that I was beyond help and to stop bothering my GP for counselling. My depression definitely gets worse when my pains are at there highest level, its like a vicious circle in a way, depression causes pain and pain causes depression. I try not to let the depression win, I try and change the way I think but its not always easy when your in constant pain.
jmarley
UKFM Member

Postby Claire Spong » Sat May 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi!

I have suffered with depression for years, can actually pinpoint it to when I was 13 although it was not diagnosed as depression until years and years after. Have been taking anti-depressants on and off ever since. I have always been an anxious personality too. My OH says that if I had nothing to worry about I would worry that there was nothing to worry about!! :roll: I have tried CBT and other talking therapies but find it really difficult to attain the positive mental attitude they always want you to find as I have always been a glass half empty type of person and adjusting your whole thinking to be glass half full instead is just too big a jump for my brain!

I was only diagnosed with Fibro in March and of course that has brought a whole new set of anxieties with it (will I be able to carry on working, will we lose the house etc. etc.). I worry terribly about the pain and about the future and the pain definitely makes me depressed because it stops me having the life I wanted.
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Postby BlueBerry » Sat May 07, 2011 4:28 pm

I think it a part of fibromyalgia , been anxity , depression always had worse anxity well I would't call my self depressed but now oh yes I full agress to the term I guess mental health is sort taboo still. With all stress I am underland my Fibomyalgia I think now come up to 8 years is still not get any easy. I forgot say also sleep too not get any.

It weird when I was young I think I was like 14 to 15 I got badly bully and I end up have worse drepession also I was one these kids who didn't like to sleep or had troube with it also had anxity didn't like get yell at in class. And here when I hit 23 some happen and I end up get fibomyalgia don't know if all link but god I had worse 2 years of it seem be not get any better on new meds soon so we see.

but guess it come hand in hand with fms I just wish I was back when before all my problem started I seem not have much a life now always in pain herts to draw , write, type :( and no sleep :coffee2: :coffee2: :dunno:
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Postby Moo Moo » Sun May 08, 2011 2:12 am

Hi all

Sorry to here you have all been suffering with mental health issues too - over the years I found the anxiety the worse thing as it led to panic attacks which I wouldn't wish on anyone!!

Over the past few years I have had standard counselling at my GP surgery for 6 weeks, CBT for 6 months and then a year and like you say it is a massive expectation to be able to be positive about everything all of a sudden when you have been dealt some life blows and are suffering from chronic pain.

The difference with the therapy I am getting now is it is nothing like that. It seems more like my therapist is stopping me from saying 'oh it's ok' and smiling all the time when it's not. I am learning that it is no wonder I feel like I do and it's ok to feel sad and cry about it. It isn't about grinning and baring it - it's about getting it all out, understanding it, grieving, feeling sorry that certain things have happened to me and giving me the strength to get it all out. Like I said it is really tough at times and I do tend to just curl up in a ball for a day or two after but my thought are clearer. I had a very difficult childhood and since I have been ill with Fibro I have had a huge amount of guilt that I was being a useless Mum cause of my fatigue and it has really helped me to understand that this is not a choice I have made for myself or my children so it is very different but also that because of the busy Mum I have always been that it's ok to feel a bit guilty now and then and if needed - have a cry, let it out and give myself a hug after by reminding myself of positive things I do as a Mum xx

All I want to say is it has taken years to get the right therapy so if what you are given doesn't help keep asking x The pills are only masking the emotions (which helps) but I feel now that at least when I do stop taking them I will have a better understanding of myself and my emotions xxx

Apart from that ----- my neck, head, shoulders, hip,leg and stomach are killing me right now so off to the med cabinet!! Lol can't be positive about it all xxx

Sweet dream all and gentle hugs xxx
Moo Moo
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun May 08, 2011 11:39 am

I'm another member of the mental health issues club, with bouts of depression, anxiety problems leading to panic attacks, mood swings from euphoric highs down to crashing lows, but with never anything in the middle apart from the rare days of numbness/emptiness.

I've tried various meds, none of which helped. It was only after CBT-based therapy and counselling sessions as well as another anti-d that I started to see there could be a glimmer of light somewhere in the deep blackness I was caught in. Things are still far from right, and I sometimes take a wrong turning and go a bit further back into the blackness, but with a tweak of things, I eventually find my way back onto the right path.

I've always had these bouts, from being a child, esp during my teenage years. I think I covered it up during my late teens and early/mid twenties by going out and partying several times each week, but it came back after DS was born and hasn't really left since then, getting worse when I first started with FM and having several years with completely the wrong dx and meds :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

When I was working, I was always the one that everyone came to to sort problems out/troubleshoot things as, for some reason I used to get to the root of things and find stuff out far easier than they did. It got to the point where it was just assumed I's do and stuff was just left for me to sort. This was on top of my expected duties and trying to meet continually changing sales targets :swear1: :swear1: I've had similar things with my mother over the years, as well as friends/neighbours making assumptions that I'll let their dog out, stay in to take in packages they've already told the courier I'll be around to sort out without checking with me before hand etc etc.

The one thing that made a difference to stopping people assuming I'd do things was letting them see me on a really, really bad day. Our neighbour took it as if it was too much trouble for me to come over and let their dog out, even tho he knew how I was affected, and (touch wood) I haven't had to do it since :clap: :clap: :clap:

There's an elephant of nortyness still left in me as well. I love it when someone asks about how I'm going on and I start going on about the depression/anxiety/unhelpful thoughts side and having therapy as the look on their face is priceless, they can't get their head around the fact I'm openly discussing something so taboo :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby thewireweaver » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

With me one will inevitably cause the other, alternating between which one comes first. I'm really having to fight to stave of the depression. Two things help; my other half and my little jewellery business. The high you get when you make a sale is brilliant and it's one of the things that helps me put up with not doing sports anymore. I'm newly diagnosed and although have had mental health and physical problems for about 5 years, the fibromyalgia itself I think I've had less than 18 months. I hope with time I'll figure out how to cope!
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Hypermobility on 14/03/11 by Rheumatologist.
Obsessed with jewellery making!
thewireweaver
UKFM Member

Postby Moo Moo » Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Flup your post made me laugh (not all of it obviously) but it sounds very like my past, before I learnt to say 'NO' x But as for openly discussing mental health problems I too now laugh to myself at the people that physically get shifty and are scared I'm going to bite them or something - even just mentioning that I have an appointment at my local mental health hospital, where I have my therapy, and they cringe lol x.

See there are some good things to having mental Health problems!! X :-) xXx

Wishing you all a restful night xxx
Moo Moo
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia