crocheting

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

crocheting

Postby welshwolverine1969 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm

I found since having fibro my hands are very painful so knitting and crocheting went on the back burner for a while....then I went to a craft fair and found crochet needles with think handles on them and thought I would give them a go...they are fantastic if you suffer a lot of pain in the hands like me I don't seem to have as much pain when crocheting now which I am pleased about ...things may be growing slower than before but yippee at least I can still do it ..knitting still seems to be a problem though a min
welshwolverine1969
UKFM Member

Re: crocheting

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Nice to hear you've found a way to get back into one of your pastimes welshwolverine :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Being able to do even a little of something that makes you feel a bit more :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: is always a good thing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It doesn't matter how long it might take for a creation to grow, the pleasure it will give you while doing it will far outweigh it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Welshwolverine, it is nice to hear that you can continue crocheting. Also good news that another item has been made to
simplify things for people who have trouble using their hands.

What do the handles look like and who manufactures them?

I have a load of yarn, too bad I didn't live closer to you and I could pass it on.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby humbugshouse » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:55 pm

I only learnt to crochet last summer and I love it. But I've been unable to do it for 4 weeks as my hands are so painful. I do find it easier to do with the thicker plastic handled hooks rather than the standard ones. Going to try do some tonight. I've always said it helped the circulation in my hands, that I had less pains but then everything got bad, hence the recent FM diagnosis. Need to gradually build my loves back into my life... tried baking over the weekend and I'm shattered! Just hope I can get crocheting again. I love it. It relaxes me and I've taught lots of friends to do it too! I've so much wool I want to make gorgeous creations with! s x
love and hugs and all that jazz
humbugshouse
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:59 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you manage to get back to it :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby humbugshouse » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 pm

I hope so too :) s x
humbugshouse
UKFM Newbie

Postby beckstar127 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:22 pm

I would love to learn any recommendations

Gentle Hugs xx
beckstar127
UKFM Member

Postby humbugshouse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 am

Lots of wool shops run courses. My friend just learnt that way.
My friend showed me how to make a granny square after I'd struggled myself for a few months.
I then bought Cute and Easy Crochet by Nicky Trench. This helped me understand the patterns and that was it... there was no stopping me... well, until my hands hurt, but hoping to get going again soon!
Happy crocheting! s x
humbugshouse
UKFM Newbie

Postby welshwolverine1969 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 pm

I am sorry i have taken so long to reply but alas i forgot my password yet again this is about the 100th time now hopefully its auto saved because i keep forgetting where it is omg lol......Whoami thanks for the offer of wool hun i wish i lived closer as well the handles you can add to your needles are adaptations for arthritus thats all i know they are a little spongy sleeve that you put on the hook to make it more comfortable and slighty bigger but it works.....but i think you can buy hooks with the handkes already make like it i have seen ppl posting them on this crochet group i am on ....beckstar127 if you go on you tube hun and type it in learn to crochet for begginers or something like that loads of people post on how to do it you will be surprised....
Attachments
20130819_135241.jpg
this is one of my new projects in crocheting
20130819_135241.jpg (898.54 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
welshwolverine1969
UKFM Member

Postby beckstar127 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 am

Hes lovely

Gentle Hugs xx
beckstar127
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm

I've found wood needles help my hands when knitting as when you use them they warm up and bend to suit you, I always end up with 2 very different curved needles because one hand has more pain than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby beckstar127 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I would love to learn

Gentle Hugs xx
beckstar127
UKFM Member

Postby nannyogg » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:35 am

wow - thanks for posting about this. I love to crochet but it can get very painful. I never even thought of adapting the needles (dunno why, cos I've done exactly that to pens etc!)

I'll definitely be givng this a go...
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby vonneyrose » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm

This is brilliant! I've been moaning on for ages about wanting to learn but there's always been an excuse not to.

I think actually I just wasn't ready to do it.

Maybe I'll finally give it a go.
Thank you! Warm wishes Jo :-)
vonneyrose
UKFM Newbie

Return to Craft