Sew far sew good

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sew far sew good

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

I wrote a while back about going to a friends and having a great crafting session . My daughter and I both really enjoyed using the old hand cranked machines, they were simple and easy to use . With more time on my hands I have been thinking of starting a new hobby & after the fun of our sewing bee I decided to learn more about sewing with the aim of making myself a few tunics as I never seem to be able to find ones I like in the shops .

so for the first time I found myself going through a well know internet auction site. I put on bids for a couple of machines with no success and then tried an automatic bid . Two days later I got an e-mail to say I was now the proud owner of a 1905 hand cranked Singer sewing machine .

Pity I hadn't scrolled down the ad to read the small print. It was pick up from somewhere in kent ! I contacted the seller and thankfully after 2 or 3 false alarms he got a price for posting it . I am now waiting with baited breath for my new toy to arrive, only problem I am still not sure its in working order !! It didn't say in the ad and when I asked the seller he never got back to me !

WIll keep you posted about how I get on as I have never been crafty before but I do really want to do something useful with the extra time I have now but it needs to be something that can sit in the corner if I'm too tired or sore .

Does anyone else sew?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Sew far sew good

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm

My nan used to have one of those old Singer sewing machines, complete with the treadle so it could be operated by foot so both hands were free for guiding the fabric in the right direction :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: She always said it was far more reliable than the electric machine that she had :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

With them being rather on the heavy side, they tend to go for relatively low prices at auctions, fairs and sales, so if you have any problems with the one you have bought, it should be fairly easy and not too costly to find a replacement if needed.

I've done a bit on ebay over the years and one of the first things you do learn is to read the listing properly before you place your bid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: and Happy Sewings :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Hopefully you'll grace us with a photo~shoot when you've started your line of FM~friendly tunics and tops :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby maxtomads » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi ISM. I sew whenever my hands allow me to. I make clothes, curtains, soft furnishings, anything really. I used to do counted cross stitch & knitting too, but my hands get too stiff & sore for that now. These days when I can't be creative in the sewing / knitting department I make cakes, pies, jams etc & sell them at work or to friends & neighbours for charity. Enjoy your new hobby & let us know how you get on!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I hope the new machine works out for you. I love the old machines.

I am also a sewer and make practically anyrthing, or should say have made, LOL Like many of us my hands will only co-operate so much. I always had a quilt up on frames but the tiny stitches are hard and about 10 minutes is enough. It would take years to finish.
Enjoy and I can't wait to hear about what you have made.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Mel2babiesbenson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:32 am

Hello ladies, i used to crochet still can but these last few months i just cant get back into the swing of it so i am trying to teach myself sewing. I have tried a few kids patterns and ladies tops but my only successfull makes are my cushions and a maxi dress made from a tank top that i cut the bottom off and just sew other material onto it. I am desperate to make lovely clothes for my girls wish there was someone closer to teach me the basics of clothes making, £30 an hour for tuition isnt really an option :(

How did u all learn? Xx
Mel2babiesbenson
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:24 am

You Tube is brilliant for getting tutorials and stuff. I have yet to find a time when it didn't come to the rescue.There are also a lot of sites that will give you links to free patterns. One of the ones I use is AllFreeSewing.com if you sign up for the news letters , they will send you links to blogs etc all with free patterns on it.
Good luck and Happy Sewing!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Craft