Sewing Project

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sewing Project

Postby Gracious » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:58 pm

White Dress Complete IS.jpg
White Dress Complete IS.jpg (203.83 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
I wrote a reply to a recent post Re: trouble keeping occupied on Mon Aug 25, 2014. In the post I wanted people to realise that despite having this condition, they should not give up on their hobbies or the things they value. After all we have to give up so much. So if your passionate about something find a way in which to do it.

In the reply I wrote about sewing again after 20 years of a break. It was something that took me 8 months to do, with pacing, setbacks, a few tears and lets not talk about the migraines!!!! etc, but I finished the White Dressthat Arwen wares in the Fellowship of the Rings Movie for my niece. Attached are pictures of the finished dress (had to blur my nieces face as she's under sixteen and it was at dads request).

I am pleased how it turned out considering it been twenty years, I now have fibro hands!!, I had no pattern to work with and the dress appears on screen for barely a few minutes.

My niece loved it, which is an absolute bonus.

It was hard work but it goes to show what a bit of good pacing can achieve, regardless of how quickly I used to do my sewing in the past...I can still sew and thats what I value most.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Re: Sewing Project

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:58 pm

That is so beautifully gorgeous :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: I remember you posting about making the dress for her as I asked Mr Googley what the original one looked like, not having watched Game Of Thrones {so far} and had one of those very girlie moments that certain dresses have the power to bring out :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I've rediscovered sewing this year too, my creations so far are a 50s~Grace Kelly style tea dress with a cropped swing~style jacket. I was really unsure when I wore them both for the first time, but a number of comments from people about how the ensemble looked together and that they would never have guessed that I had made them helped with the realisation that maybe I'd not done too bad a job considering I was a teenager the last time I did any serious sewing :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Seeing how you have created something so beautiful and special has got my little sewing bee buzzing even more now :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Graciebaby » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful!
You are very talented indeed.

I draw and paint, and with fibro hands, I can completely sympathise with how long things can take to complete. The satisfaction when you finish something is a lovely feeling isn't it :-D
Well done you!
G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Beautiful, you are so talented :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Helhit » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:35 am

Wow xxx
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks for the lovely comments, they are all very much appreciated.

When I look at the dress I still can't believe I made it. The hardest part was individually glueing on 2000, tiny 3mm circumference pearl beads. A lot of hand work, back breaking too, all of which was a killer for me. That amount of beadwork I would probably want to avoid doing again, but the dress in the movie had beads so had to be authentic for my niece or it wasn't a true Arwen dress.

What was weird was seeing her in a dress, she's the ultimate tom boy, even her dad had tears.....bless!

Just made it all the more special in the end.

She's now hinting at me about doing the Elsa dress from Frozen, but I have my knitting projects for christmas first and my sister will kill me if I make my neice that dress and not make her one too....think its time to teach them too sew!!

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby mrselizabeth » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:15 pm

That is so beautiful, well done you..
I made my eldest daughters wedding dress 16 years ago when she got married in the Dominican Republic. Great, and very hot wedding..
mrselizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby april.goddard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:43 pm

I have started to make rag dolls, I also just started to making jewellery and I bake too. I try not to let my Fibro get in the way but some days I cannot do anything which is ok as I do these as and when I am up to it.
:-D
april.goddard
UKFM Newbie

Return to Craft