Baking help??

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Baking help??

Postby Schnoodle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 am

Hello everyne, hope you are having as good a day as you can.

I wanted to know if any of you have any advice/hints/tips or even recipies.

I used to LOVE bking, i used to bake something almost every day, and now i havn't baked for years - not like what i used to at all.

Anyway, im determined to try and make a sticky toffee pudding today - never made one before and im aware that it will possibly kill me, (or at least feel like it) but im stubborn and i think sometimes a bit of what you fancy (although it may hurt at the time and for days after) may do you good and help me feel a sense of achievement.

I have looked on the internet but wondered if any of you had any ideas for recipies, or just tips to make baking easier or less painful... :cup1: :cake: :flowers:

Heres hoping it doesnt hurt as much as i think it will.

wish me luck! x
Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia/cfs febuary 2009.
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Re: Baking help??

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:36 am

Hey :)

I'm really getting in to Baking, haven't made sticky toffee pudding before so can't help on that front but here's my general tips :)

- do 'easy' projects on bad days, rice crispie cakes, rocky road etc are all easy and quick to make, still tasty, can't be burnt and make you feel good

- chocolate biscuit cake is also good like the above

- muffins are suprisingly easy, especially blueberry muffins, I also make white chocolate and rasberry muffins. If you take one fresh from the oven and chuck on some ice cream it also makes a delicious reward :)

- rock cakes are amazing to make. I've only made them twice but they were divine!!

I can't find my rock cake recipe atm but from memory;

- 200g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 90g butter
- 90g caster sugar
- 90g raisins/dried fruit
- 1 large egg, beaten (I've always been fine with a medium)
- 50g ground almonds (I've used crushed as couldn't buy ground from Sainsburys, it worked fine, a little harder to make the dough but very tasty and visible almonds inside the cakes which was nice)

Method:

Sift the flour, salt and almonds in to a bowl.
Rub in the butter.
Add the sugar and raisins and mix in the egg to form a dough (I find just getting your fingers dirty is the quickest and easiest method, it's messy but fun and only takes a few minutes to make the stiff dough, imagine you're pounding fibro! Can take an extra minute if you use crushed, rather than ground, almonds)

The recipe says this serves 12. The recipe lies, it served 6 the first time and 8 the second. I found 8 worked better, my 6 were a little on the large side but if they're tiny I think calling them rock cakes is a bit cheeky. You need to pop them on a baking tray, keep them reasonably apart as they can spread out a little and heat on 190 degrees (I think gas 5) for 15 minutes or until golden and brown. I find nearer 20 mins works best for my oven. Don't worry, they will harden further once they're out the oven (sometimes they're a bit squishy still when they come out). Sprinkle a little extra caster sugar over them and enjoy!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Schnoodle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 am

thankyou so much for that hunny, i dont know what a rock cake is /9are they like scones) ut i will give them a try - thankyou xxxx
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Rock cakes are a bit like a lumpier version of a scone. I've made them before and they go down really well. My MIL makes the most wonderful rock cakes, not found any to better hers :clap: :clap: :clap:

I do quite a lot of baking, mainly for DS's lunchbag (even tho he's almost 15 :facepalm: ) so I've amassed quite a few recipes over time. To make things easier for me, I use a food processor for all the mixing and creaming. It makes things a lot easier and less painful, altho I do have a hand mixer, as well as a hand blender that see a lot of use for the smaller things I can mange to hold them for.

I've not made sticky toffee pudding, altho it is my absolute, all time favourite pud ever ever :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've often made jam sponge or treacle sponge puddings using the good old basic sponge cake mix then cook it in the microwave for a few minutes. I've also done a chocolate sponge pudding, often blitzing fruit like banana into it, super scrummy served with homemade chocolate custard.

If you're after some recipe ideas, put them on here and I'll have a look thru what I've got and post them on here. Not got a sticky toffee pudding one I've tried, but I find the BBC Food site is quite good, as well as Channel 4s 4Food. Even just putting a recipe idea into google has thrown up some decent ones for me.

When you've finished mixing and things are baking, get George to help you lick the dish out, unless it's got chocolate or dried fruit in it, he'll probably enjoy helping you "clean" it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Schnoodle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Thankyou Flyppy. I got the recipie from this sticky toffee pudding from there.

It is in the oven as we speak, not ure if it wiol work though its very runny?? hmmm we will see!

I am in so much pain but i feel like i have achieved something (as long as it turns out ok) so i dont mind as much.

Thats me in bed, or if im lucky the sofa! for the weekend !!
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:34 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Sticky Toffee pud turns out very scrummy :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Hopefully with a bit of sunshine and some snuzzles from George you might not feel too bad :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Schnoodle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Boy that sticky toffee pudding is scrumptious! yum! very sickly and sweet though!

thanks for all your tips - much appreciated.

iv enjoyed doing it but boy im suffering! i would post a pic but i hurt too bad at the moment.... maybe later...

xx
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm

you're making me drool. if i pm you my address do you mind popping some in an envelope first class......

i agree it's worth the pain (sometimes) to bake. i haven't had the energy to do much recently although my brownies are easy to make and taste fantastic.

if anyone has any gluten free recipes i'd love to know. thanks, adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:Rock cakes are a bit like a lumpier version of a scone. I've made them before and they go down really well. My MIL makes the most wonderful rock cakes, not found any to better hers :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sounds like a challenge to me Flup :mrgreen: although my MIL also makes lovely rock cakes I prefer mine by a margin as a) I made them and b) mine have almonds in.

Adele -

http://www.glutenfreebaking.com/

I have to admit, I need to try the cola cake... I'm intrigued. I love cake and I love coke... will I love coke cake??
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Claire Spong » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:51 am

The last thing I baked was Hugh fearnley-whittingstall's honey and peanut butter boost bars. They are like a flapjack or breakfast bar and you can personalize them by putting in whatever dried fruit, seeds and nuts that you like best. Scrummy! Recipe can be found on the channel 4 website. Not sure how good they are for you as they have peanut butter and honey in but they look healthy! Great for gluten free too as you just substitute the oats for gluten free ones. Have fountains baking more difficult since I have gone gluten free as normal recipes don't work the same if you just substitute the flour for gluten free flour. Taken me ages to even get pastry workable but have now found just adding an egg to my usual recipe works wonders!
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:59 am

Schnoodle, I think you need to put your sticky toffee pud recipe on here, sounds like it could be a good one for us to try. If it's from a website, then you could just post the linky to it's page, save on a bit of typing :clap: :clap: :clap:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HazelB » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I have recently had to start baking, after going wheat/dairy free ... hubby has been a great help and has discovered that making a pancake batter slightly thicker makes a basic muffin receipe, to which you can add extras, my faves being blueberries, bananas, chocolate chips etc.

He has also adapted a bread receipe to make yeast free flat breads (tho is still perfecting this one )
Xxx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Return to Craft