crochet anyone?

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: crochet anyone?

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

I love my crochet, have finished a cathedral rose window afghan which was auctioned for Swindon Foodbank, we made over £80 which we spent on baby milk and nappies, something that a lot of young families are struggling to afford
Attachments
1939404_10203240417320018_193651812_o(1).jpg
1939404_10203240417320018_193651812_o(1).jpg (436.06 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby cherylb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:21 pm

hi i love crochet. same as you i am obsessed from camper vans to cardigans and a lot better than knitting. i learned through you tube one step at a time :crazy:
will eventually get there....wherever THERE may be
cherylb
cherylb
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 pm

loverliesgal wrote:I love my crochet, have finished a cathedral rose window afghan which was auctioned for Swindon Foodbank, we made over £80 which we spent on baby milk and nappies, something that a lot of young families are struggling to afford

I've resized the piccy so it's easier to see on different sized screens.

It's beautiful, and what a wonderful thing to do with it. I'm sure that the families who received the milk and nappies bought with the proceeds from the auction, as well as the other items in their care package, will have been extremely grateful for them :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sue1968 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:02 am

Hi everyone

I'm new to crochet, but I'm struggling with co ordination between the wool and hook, I've seen an item that assists with tensioning as I'm really struggling with this has anyone any idea where I can get one from, they are American and are sold out here

Thank you

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am

Just a newbie to crochet work but having a great time trying it work it all out. Patterns am afraid care just beyond me yet but hopefully soon!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby mandiw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi all you fellow crocheters and knitters. I spend virtually all my time either crocheting or knitting or teaching others to do it.
If I'm not doing that I'm making cards, papercrafts or sewing.
I've had pains in my hands for a couple of years now but managed to work through the pain. I bought a pair of crafters support gloves by Handeze from Amazon and they really helped but now I have megga pain in my left hand and the doc thinks it might be Carpel Tunnel Syndrome possibly caused by repetitive strain.
If I have to stop crocheting and knitting I don't know what I will do. I wanted to be a garden designer but had to give up the training coz I could no longer do it. I am a trained chef but find it very hard cooking and baking now coz I can't lift pots and pans or hold things tightly anymore.
Looks like I am going to be left only being able to do Jigsaw Puzzles and watching TV.
Humph
mandiw
UKFM Member

Re: crochet anyone?hi m

Postby Sue1968 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:55 am

Hi mandiw

I'm like you a card maker, jewellery maker, learning to knit and crochet but I've found a new kinda craft called kumihimi, it's a Japanese art of braiding with or without beads, it's easy once you get the hang of it, I've taught 3 people to this craft and to go onto make lovely jewellery, I find that I can do a lot of the braiding and put it down and then pick up where I've left but with crochet and knitting I can't as I cannot remember. I've also just taught myself to do these loom bands that are all the rage, I do find this frustrating So don't think it'll stick. Have you tried jewellery making or anything like that?

Inbox me if you want any further support

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby sej55 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:17 pm

I have just given up work as it was all too stressful. Due to bad sleeping problems with the Fibro, I can be awake for most of the night!! :(
However, as I am now a Grandmother to a wonderful little boy, my daughter asked me to crochet him a cot blanket... well that really kicked things off! I have progressed to "Buggy Blankets" as I made a small blanket to have in the buggy that wouldnt catch in the wheels. All the mothers at the "Baby group" my daughter went to wanted them, so to date I have made 12!! Now they are all wanting cot blankets! Have just finished my first one, it was hard going mainly due to the weight of the blanket due to size, but I have just completed it, and to be honest I am very pleased with it. I have also made 4 cushion covers and the demand is there for more! It keeps me out of mischief when I cant sleep with the Fibro and all the new mums are really happy with my work. Yes my thumb aches a lot sometimes, but as its for a good cause, I persevere and it makes me feel I have achieved something, and am not just a useless blob! lol
sej55
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jasper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey
Sometimes I can cheerfully scream :-x I'm trying to teach myself crochet but just as I think I have mastered a stitch the old brain fog kicks in and I can't remember how I did the previous stitch. You have to just laugh sometimes. I have just joined a knit and knatter group at my local library which is always good for a giggle. Most people knit but I take sewing or whatever I have on the go at the time. We never seem to get much work done but I do leave feeling a whole lot lighter hearted :lol: xx
Jasper
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sue1968 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi jasper
I'm a bit like you, could quite happily scream when im trying to work out how to start crochet off, however It was suggested that I purchase a good quality aran wool, in a lightish colour, somi did do and I gave it another go and to my amazement ive got an irregular square which started of as a circle and then turned into a strange shaped square, I'm not sure where you are in the country but if you look up on Google crochet groups in your area and contact one of them, and explain your issue with your health etc and see if someone in the group is willing to give you 1-2-1 lessons, ive done exactly this and I am going to have a proper lesson on Wednesday, I went last week but went to the wrong public house where they meet and I didn't have a contact number just an email address, make sure you get this as I had to go home ax I couldn't get the Internet so had no way of contact, I learnt that lesson fast! I now have a contact number and name. Good luck
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 pm

crochet project
Last edited by Gracious on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Well I set a little project for 2014 last new year to learn to crochet, as painful as it was to do with my fingers and hands, I managed to self teach with a little help from youtube and library books and one of my main objectives was to Crochet the Angry Birds for my little nephew who is only 6. I had knitted an EDF zingy which he loved so much he took it everywhere with him, so I new he would loved the Angry Birds. I finished the last one a week before Christmas, so was able to give them to him as a Christmas gift.

I dont normally take pictures of my craft work, but this was a journey and a half as each one represents a massive 6-8 day migraine, but when I saw his wee face on Christmas light up and I hear how he takes them all to bed with him, all the hand pain and ever migraine was worth it. Picture below:
Crochet Angry Birds is.jpg
Crochet Angry Birds is.jpg (300.37 KiB) Viewed 5125 times

The patterns for most of them are free from Ravelry, only Terence and Stella were the two I had to make up myself. As an absolute beginner I can say they are really easy to do and if you dont want to do all the feathers, eyes and brows you can use felt instead and sew them on, that way you only need to crochet the body and nose.

Still deciding on my next crochet project, as I am concentrating on some other things at present. Hands will only do so much, as we all know.

Just thought I would share in the hope to encourage others not to give up.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:00 am

they're ace. Well done you for teaching yourself. I taught myself too from YouTube tutorials. I find it hard to feel motivated to make things, so again I think you've done great. You're an inspiration. Might even get my hooks out again :) thanks for sharing
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:24 am

What fantastic work, Loverliesgal and Gracious. I love crocheting too. I found a local class initially and, now I feel more confident, I use Youtube if I'm unsure about anything. I also find Lucy's 'Attic 24' blog extremely helpful - as well as being interesting. There are a number of lovely projects on there and she has included photographs so you can see exactly what to do. I completed a rainbow Ripple Blanket for my granddaughter, following a Lucy pattern, and she was delighted with it.

IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Moomoos, thanks for the lovely comments and hope your looking throught the patterns as I write this, even a wee small project to give that feel good feeling. Hope you succeed.

Genevieve489, that throw is fantastic and such a huge project to undertake. Certainly admire the will power and determination it would have taken to complete. Well done you.

I'd love to do a bedspread for myself, on the theme of tiny flowers all joined together, but the thought of it taking years, keeps me delaying the start, plus not sure what colours I want yet. Got the idea from a baby bedspread shown below.

il_fullxfull.299069967.jpg
il_fullxfull.299069967.jpg (269.03 KiB) Viewed 5113 times

I like the idea of doing it in shades of the same colour, like caramels or greys and putting a little diamond bling in the centre of each flower. Will need to do a sample first to get an idea of how it looked and material needed. Still deciding, but think it would look amazing. But I know this will be a huge long term project if I take it on as its hundreds of flowers. We'll see!!!

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Craft