Education Session for Pain Management Course.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Education Session for Pain Management Course.

Postby scottydog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi all

Attended my Education Session and it wasn't at all as I had expected. I was expecting an overview of the pain management course but in fact it explained the difference between acute pain and chronic pain and how, people like us, have over sensitive nervous systems. Tbh it felt like a human biology lesson.

There are two courses you can, potentially, attend one called mindfulness and one called pain management. I am on the latter.

The course is held for 3 hours once a week for 8 weeks which concerned me. I took the presenter to one side to explain I really wanted to attend but didn't know whether I would actually be able to attend fully due to how poorly I am at the moment.

The course starts in May, hopefully, and I was assessed in January so it has been quite a long wait to get this far. I really hope I can attend the whole course and that it is beneficial to me as I need to get my pain under control because my life seems to be dominated by it.

I slipped into a flare after going out for my significant birthday with OH and had 2 migraines in 4 days last week. Happily going out today seems to have given me a bit of a boost. I was out for quite a while and keeping everything crossed that I don't pay for it.

Gentle hugs x
scottydog
scottydog
UKFM Member

Re: Education Session for Pain Management Course.

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi, I have replied to your other post on this!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby scottydog » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks for your reply.

I have been given a start date in just over a week's time running on a Monday quite early in the morning for me anyway.

I was told to wear casual clothes as light exercise is done. That will be interesting as I am between a Walker and a scooter at the moment. I can hardly walk let alone exercise.

Told to come with an open mind but no mention of lunch so will need to get OH to make me a fruit salad or I will be fainting! Lyrica has increased my appetite and am still battling, unsuccessfully, with my weight!!

I really hope this helps me come to terms with my pain so that I can have some sort of life back. I would love to go out to lunch or shopping with my friend. I miss her now work have got rid of me and she is still there.

Gentle hugs x
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:28 pm

What are the timings of it? Mine was 1.30-4.30pm which was better for me. We didn't get lunch so I would usually buy a sandwich beforehand.

For the 'exercises' we were told we could do walking for 5 mins (I think?), sitting/standing for one min and step ups. But we were given the choice of leaving out anything we felt we couldn't do, and there was absolutely no pressure. I couldn't do the steps because of my knees. They only do it so they have an idea at the end of the course whether you've changed or not.

Good luck with it, I think ours was really useful so I hope you feel the same!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby scottydog » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi

My session is 10.00 to 13.00 With a follow up session 2 months after the course has ended.

Thanks for the heads up re the exercise. I won't be able to do the steps either because of my knees. Did you re do the exercises at the end of the course so they could assess your improvement ?

I just hope I can manage the early start. It should be ok as it is for only one day a week. I will make sure I have a quiet Sunday and Tuesday and then I hope to avoid a flare.

I will post when I have attended a few sessions. I am going in with an open mind. I have been asleep most of today so will give anything a try!

X
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Ah well if it's only til 1pn I wouldn#'t have expected them to provide lunch! It's weird it's in the morning though.

Yes I did them before I started the course and then last week as a comparison. None of us had to do anything we didn't want to. I also completed a questionnaire at each end about my mindset.

The sessions varied as they covered so much so yes best to wait until a few sessions in and see how you feel. I rested the day before/after as well (I did two days a week!).
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services