how to be referred to a rheumatologist

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

how to be referred to a rheumatologist

Postby ccat21 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I have had Fibro for a number of years now and have a good relationship with my GP however I am going through a bad flare-up and would like to see a rheumatologist to see if there is anything they can advise me on how to cope etc. Have been on Pregabilin but the side effects were horrid, I also have Hypermobility syndrome and Degenerative disk disease which was diagnosed by a NHS osteopath, I have not had any referrals for these (not even an X-ray on back). I have in the past asked to see one but GP has said that they cannot do anything else that he can, is this true? How have others got on with the rheumy, have they been of help or is my GP right.
Any advice please as I have an appointment with him soon and would like to discuss this with him but would like to be armed with some facts so that the fibro-fog does not get in the way,
thanks
Cat
ccat21
UKFM Member

Re: how to be referred to a rheumatologist

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:49 pm

I only saw one to get a diagnosis really. I found the pain clinic far more helpful. If you can I would google your local hospitals and see if there is such a clinic near you. I told my GP to refer me to them. Good luck!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby ccat21 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks Zia, I will take a look at the Plymouth NHS trust to see & will hopefully be able to convince my GP to refer me to them if there is a clinic which I'm sure there is.
ccat21
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby ccat21 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks your a star
ccat21
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Personally I agree with the GP. There is nothing more they can do for you then the consultant. I also would advice that the pain clinic are better. They are licensed for more medications and can monitor you. They also have more doors open to therapies etc...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services