The dreaded no-believer GP and cold turkey meds ?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The dreaded no-believer GP and cold turkey meds ?

Postby Puddlesplasher » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have not been on here long although I have read through many of the posts to try and get some comfort/inspiration from you all.

I was diagnosed with FMS several years ago, but when my symptoms almost disappeared 18 months ago, my GP said he may have got it wrong and he withdrew the diagnosis. I was overjoyed at this and carried on getting my life back on track with very little pain.

Then a few months ago it all started up again and after a huge crash that left me unable to walk, it was time to see my GP.
Sadly the one I had seen had left and I saw an old guy who seemed (on the first visit) to be very supportive.

I explained my issues and asked him to refer me back to rheumatologist and also if I could book to see the counselor.
He did not examine me at all but agreed on the condition that i started taking Sertraline (to help get me through) and he signed me off work, I agreed as I was in no fit state to question him.

When I went back two weeks later he was a bit vague with me and insisted my meds were increased and that I took more time off work.
I thought he was just being supportive and never questioned his intentions at all, who does when your doc says 'take this' you do!
It was only when I went on my third visit that I realised what I was dealing with. . .
I had been suffering very badly with spasms, numbness and headaches which really had me worried that something else was going on. When I explained to him my new symptoms he shook his head and sighed.
"You need to get over this!" was his reply. . .
"Your symptoms are due to your own perspective"
He also said that he would not give me any further pain relief as it could end up causing me "real" pain.
His suggestion was to up my does of sertraline and sign me off work for a month.

I was fuming and couldn't believe how negative he was, I know some GP's don't believe in FMS but this was the first time I had come face to face with a complete ****** (add as you like)

I was so distressed by his comments I told him to stick his meds up his *** and I stopped taking them.
Whilst I would never recommend anyone stopping meds cold turkey, it was the right thing for me to do and although I am suffering with the come down, the dreadful side effects are starting to pass.

I have my appointment with rheumatology next week when I hope and pray that I will get a better reception.

Are any of you med free? does anyone manage with just basic pain meds?
Puddlesplasher
UKFM Newbie

Re: The dreaded no-believer GP and cold turkey meds ?

Postby Dee Dee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Sorry to hear your G.P was so unsympathetic. I do hope you get on better with the rheumatologist. I take anti depressants at night, pain when the pain is really bad and vitamin supplements. I also walk my dog twice a day which helps with the pain.
Dee Dee
UKFM Newbie

Postby UnderSiege » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi there Puddlesplasher.

I think your Rheumatologist appointment should go well, they seem to be more with it than GP's re Fibro. You also should ask the Rheumatologist about GP's who would be more favourable to you and switch. I hope it all goes ok with you.

I had much the same problem with my GP. I've had osteoarthritis in lower back (and gradually spreading) since I was 18 (38 now) and the symptoms of Fibro for at least 8-9 years. The OA was actually misdiagnosed for years and I was given ineffective meds and not signed off when I should have been. This left me on JSA yet unable to take jobs when offered so JSA (joke that it is) was withdrawn and I eneded up first poor then homeless (actually spent time on the streets) then doing too much in the way of alcohol/drugs (trust me, it's a slippery slope so the hole at the end is an easy one to fall into....)

Don't worry, I'm much better off now though (with one or two exceptions. See below)

I actually thought the symptoms of Fibro were just a part of OA/depression and so didn't question them for years until after yet another physio course I was encouraged to research for exercises/diets etc and discovered Fibro. It was an epiphany. Suddenly I had an answer and maybe a work around. I asked the physio and the consultant who does my spinal injections what they thought re Fibro and they said it was most likely but I'd have to see my GP. I saw my GP and he said, and I quote:

"I don't doubt that you have Fibromyalgia Chris but these days it's become a catch-all for anything that can't be definitely diagnosed as something we can effectively treat. You've read about it so understand there is no cure and you just have to muddle on as best you can. You've been coming here for years with the same problems so aside from continuing to sign you off and prescribe your current meds (a long list btw) I'm going to give you the same solution... you need to get out of that toxic household with toxic people that you live in... until you do so, your life will never be a life. I know I'm being harsh but this is tough love. I have patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis who actually work and right now I have to help them because they can be helped..."

Wow. Ok Doc.
Just to clarify, the toxic house/people are my mothers house which she has made almost uninhabitable through totally insane and excessive hoarding (5 rooms reasonably clear and available for use out of about 20, it's a huge purpose built house, mother paid for it and my father and his building buddies built it) and my family who are totally unsupportive/unsympathetic except when they need my efforts for chores or to help with mothers hoard collecting or student letting business (which is failing due to her out of control hoarding and the fact is she is so woefully disorganised and unprepared for anything she'd have a hard time tipping wee out of a boot with instructions written on the heel...) I do so much for them when I am able but receive so much... hate in return it's turning me into a hateful person which disgusts me because that is just not who I am.

On top of that I can't escape it. My family believe if left alone I'll just rot away... Yes, they know all about my ills, I've tried to educate them with facts but for a bunch of folks with no more than GCSE's between them they have a really low opinion of Doctors with their decades of degrees, training and experience (until they themselves require a Doctor's expertise that is, then they change their tune for sure) To be honest I think they're just anti-me.

I also can't escape because even though I was offered a subsidised place of my own last year I couldn't take it as my mother got me included on a mortgage she got many years ago. It shows up with the council and DWP and makes it look to them like I have a house already so they can't/won't help...
So I'm stuck here with no life, no prospects of a relationship (who'd have me? in my current state I wouldn't) and such. Tbh I don't know how long I can continue getting iller and iller with no relief or release...

Anyway, I've been on this too long (as usual) Have a good one!
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Med free here
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby N3moHoes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:16 am

Med Free: This is a list of my current medication. Morphine Sulphate 2x a day. Gabapentin 3x a day. Oromorph Solution 4x a day. Naproxen 2x a day (Beclofan didn't work). Amitriptyline at night. There is another in my blister pack but I forget what it is. My current diagnosis is as follows, 3 types of Spondylitis, 2 types of Sciatica, Fibromyalgia. I can no longer walk and have just had to purchase a £300 wheelchair just so I can get to the toilet. I'm on standard pip and tbh I really don't care if they stop my meds because I already have the final solution. This isn't even living, this is just existing. I feel like a burden on my family, my mental health refuse to help me because they say I am in too much pain. What a joke. I get 1 hours sleep a day. Even with my Sciatica and Spondylitis I would walk some 8 months ago but since this Fibromyalgia started approximately 6 months I haven't been able to do anything 24 hours a day 7 days a week I constantly vibrate, not a little tremble, I really vibrate throughout my whole body. It's like being a prisoner. I wish you all, all the very best.
N3moHoes
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services