North Devon/Devon based GP's??

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

North Devon/Devon based GP's??

Postby sarahloui069 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi. Can anyone who possibly lives in the North Devon or more general Devon area recommend a GP surgery or specific GP who has some knowledge and understanding of Fibro as well as CFS/ME. I live in Barnstaple, North Devon and every GP i try seems to have minimal to no knowledge about my symptoms nor do they seem to take me very seriously. In fact its almost as if they think i'm putting this on, all in my head. It's been nearly 10 years of this now and i'm really struggling. Any help or recommendations would be amazingly welcome :)
sarahloui069
UKFM Newbie

Re: North Devon/Devon based GP's??

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 pm

:welcome: to our little escape from it all Sarah :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with trying to find a decent and understanding GP. Sadly it's something that is all too common, and altho things are changing, with more GPs being more aware of the condition, these changes are so slow in coming thru to patients that it can seem like everyone that we see is a dinosaur rather than a doctor with the way they react when FM is mentioned.

You could try contacting the surgeries in your area and ask them a few questions in your GP~finding stage of your quest. You could ask if they have any patients registered with FM, CFS/ME or other similar conditions, and if they do, ask if there is a particular GP that such patients tend/prefer to see. If the answers are yes, you can then ask about what you would need to do to transfer to the surgery.

Alternatively, if there is a support group in your area, you could contact them or attend a meeting and ask members about the surgeries they attend, who they tend to see, and even who to avoid if you need to.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services