Questionable Diagnoses?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Questionable Diagnoses?

Postby Keelygrace » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this site/forum - and have only recently even heard of Fibromyalgia when my doctor gave me this as my possible diagnoses.

I have been having mild to severe pain throughout my back, shoulders & arms/elbows for as long as I can remember - I've always brushed it off as I was doing contact sports so I assumed it was just my body telling me to cool it - I stopped training heavily about 6months ago and haven't done any exercise in the last 3 months and the pain continues.. I also suffer with constant headaches and decided I needed to see a doctor when this particular one lasted for about 3 weeks.

The doctor seem puzzled by my symptoms and then came to the conclusion it could be Fibromyalgia, she gave some leaflets on it and prescribed me a trial period of Duloxetine - she stated it's used to treat depression but in this case its for the pain - I don't suffer from depression at all so was concerned about having to take antidepressant medication?

Anyway - after reading up on Fibromyalgia, I've read that to be diagnosed you must have so many pressure/tender points of pain? I don't have any - and I told this to the doctor and she still said Fibromyalgia. I also don't have a lot of pain in my lower body, it's mainly my upper body.

I'm unsure this is what the problem with my back is simply for this reason, so my question is, have anybody been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and didn't have any tender points? Or does anybody have Fibromyalgia and only have pain in certain areas?

Thank you in advanced :-D
Keely
Keelygrace
UKFM Newbie

Re: Questionable Diagnoses?

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm

:welcome:

Duloxetine is widely used now to help Fibro symptoms. The medication is used for depression but can also help with fibro symptoms like the pain, help aid sleep and limit any anxiety.

I at the time of diagnoses never had many tender points I mainly had trigger points. I also only had upper body pain & stiffness especially located in my neck, shoulders and Jaw.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Questionable Diagnoses?

Postby thesse » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:53 am

You could try a course of deep tissue or myofascial release massage? It sounds a bit like tension and possibly misalignment of the spine and shoulders. A sports therapist should be able to do a postural assessment and recommend the right massage. I had a severe torticollis of my neck and shoulders which was unbearable, and had quite a lot of massage to straighten it out.

Thesse
thesse
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services