Pregablin , when to stop

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pregablin , when to stop

Postby Olpk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Hello everyone , long time since I posted but been taking time getting my head round my condition.

Nearly 2 years since diagnosis by rheumatologist who discharged me and referred me to pain clinic.

Pain consultant discharged me with medication advice to my GP.

I'm now on 400mg of pregablin a day with the consultant advising my GP to go up to 600.

But I have a question no one seems to be able to answer.
With the pregablin am I meant to ramp up the dosage to be pain free or just a copable level .

My GP is terrible. Talked me out of increasing the dosage telling me I shouldn't as I'll get too used to it and it won't help.

Trouble is I'm struggling and Zomorph is my prescribed pain relief which I use as sparingly as possible for obvious reasons but I find I'm turning to it more often as the pregablin isn't getting me away from feeling overpowered.

I'm in the process of changing GP but wanted advice from other pregablin users as I don't know what to be aiming for with the drug.
Olpk
UKFM Newbie

Re: Pregablin , when to stop

Postby heather trippett » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 am

HI i take 300mg of pre gabalin and have 4 about a year at first felt a little sick but soon wore off it help me a little with restless leg syndrom but not much 4 pain but everyone is different. i stopped taking stupidly without doctors advice wich was when i really found out how pre gablin does help me my tremors n spasms were worse n the pain in my spine was a little worse so i started taking it again but as i said every1 is different no harm in giving ii a go :-D
heather trippett
UKFM Member

Re: Pregablin , when to stop

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:24 pm

The benefits of the med, along with what level of dosage, and how long it may be helpful can vary greatly from individual to individual. It doesn't necessarily deaden all the pain signals/sensations, leaving you entirely free of them unfortunately, but does make a significant difference for some that take it.

Pregabalin dosage does tend to be increased steadily, either up to the max. or prescribed level, or to a level that can be tolerated if there are sensitivities/intolerances to the med.

It's a case of trial and error when it comes to finding the right mix of things that makes the difference to each of us. And that difference, as much as we would all love it to be one where we are all completely free of the hurtys, can vary greatly, all depending on how the condition affects us, lifestyle etc. Quite often, the point we can get to is the one where levels are reduced to a manageable point, but still with us xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services