All in my head

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

All in my head

Postby Ivory » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi all,

Last April my GP, after years of going back and fourth said she was 99% certain I had Fibro. She said she would refer me to the hospital to see a Rheumatologist to get a certain diagnosis.
Well fast forward nearly a year and numerous phone calls and visits to my GP, this week a new GP ( the original one has now left, great!) said that she has cancelled the referral and that everything is in my head and down to my depression!!
I feel so upset and frustrated. I have spent years feeling so ill and in so much pain, and last year when someone actually said, yes, I do believe you, I think you may have such and such was such a relief. Now I feel that I am back at square one. I have no idea what to do now.
Can I insist on being referred? Can I self refer? I just need some advice really, this has really knocked me :cry:
Ivory
UKFM Newbie

Re: All in my head

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:53 pm

You can only self refer if its private (unless its changes the past year or so) NHS has to come with referral BUT you can ask for a second opinion from another GP

Another way (which im afraid costs) is paying for a physio / Chiropractor/Oesteopath to assess you and if they strongly suspect FM then they can write a letter to GP with there findings.

OR you can refer yourself to the Mental Health Team and they can maybe assess you to see whether they feel its depression or not. Then again with there findings they can write to GP
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Ivory » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:04 pm

I can't afford to go private, I wish I could :(
There is another Gp at the practice, so I think I am going to make an appointment with them, and see what they say.
Thanks for the reply Lisa x
Ivory
UKFM Newbie

Postby robertcohen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:03 am

I had the same insensitive answer from my old GP. Change GP or even practice if you need to. You need them on side not giving you insensitive views, Tell her or him if they had it would they still think the same, I doubt it.

Yes it is linked to emotions and physical pain so that rules out what you been told. Stress, Anxiety and Tension are not Mind Over Matter but serious issues that need dealing with, How can one deal with emotional pain if they cannot get help with the physical side of things.

Take my advice and go elsewhere as this GP is not working in your best interests.
robertcohen
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:11 pm

This winds me up every time I hear about some medic doing this.

I am not depressed, anxious, stressed, or in any way emotionally damaged/hindered. I'm pretty healthy and fit all round.

I STILL have Fibromyalgia. I am still in 24/7 widespread actual physical pain.

So if that's the case, how is it someone else with the same issues can be told 'it's all in your head'?

The NHS recognises FM as a physical issue usually treated by a rheumatologist. Your stupid GP needs to go back to medical school, or at least read the guidance that his own employers issue on the subject of chronic pain conditions. Jeez
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Ivory » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 am

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the delay in replying.
I have to go for more blood tests, this is probably about the 20th time they have done this but hey ho lol and when I get the results back I will make an appointment with the other GP. If I get told the same thing then I have no other option but to move surgeries.
I know it isn't in my head, I know it isn't :cry:
Ivory
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services