At my whits end with GP

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

At my whits end with GP

Postby bexhowell » Wed May 25, 2016 1:08 pm

I have been diagnosed with hypermobility but having been through all treatments possible, I am pretty sure this is full blown fibromyalgia.

I have had so many problems with the GP and have no idea what to do next. They have put me on codeine which I have been 'over ordering' as the dose they recommend just doesn't cut it anymore. They don't seem to want to find a cure for the pain and frequently call me in to tell me I am overdoing the codeine. The last time they called me in they literally laughed at my symptoms and suggested that I go on morphine!!!

I see a different doctor every time I go in and have a monthly battle to get my basic prescription. I often have to battle with the receptionists who seem to think it is ok to advise me on my problem!

My problem is this: I am seen by someone different every time which means I have to go over the same story every time. The prescription they have given me isn't killing the pain yet they won't let me have more. They also won't do any further investigation as to how to cure or fix this pain. When they mess me about with the prescription it stresses me out which further exacerbates the pain! Codeine has been the only thing which has enabled me to live a fully functioning life.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go forward? I am at the end of my tether!
bexhowell
UKFM Newbie

Re: At my whits end with GP

Postby GinaP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:46 pm

bexhowell wrote:I have been diagnosed with hypermobility but having been through all treatments possible, I am pretty sure this is full blown fibromyalgia.

Hi there Bexhowell

I am *quite* hypermobile (not enough to be diagnosed with it though) so I did some research on this topic plus joint pain and fatigue when I was trying to ascertain what the heck was wrong with me. I wonder if you've heard of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome? That's something I was tested for but for me, it was negative. I was diagnosed (twice, because I refused to believe it...lol) with fibromyalgia.

http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/about-eds/ ... -syndrome/

You've probably looked at it during your own travels over the Internet, but there's a link if you haven't.

I hope it's ok that I post the link here.
GinaP
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services