Dr refused repeat prescription painkillers

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dr refused repeat prescription painkillers

Postby Hazelcat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:44 pm

My Dr has refused my repeat prescription request for painkillers, I've been taking them regularly 4 times a day for the past month or so on the advice of the physio, as opposed to as and when. I usually collect them a couple of days before I run out, I last got some about a week ago and put in an early request as it is really difficult for me to get to the Dr's next week so I thought I could collect them early. My question is have they refused them as they may think that I'm misusing them? I'm really worried that they won't prescribe them to me anymore because of this, as I obviously need them. I'm not due a meds review just yet either.
I can't get an appointment with my doctor until next week either, so I'm having to make do with a phone appointment at the end of the week with a doctor that I don't know!
Hazelcat
UKFM Newbie

Re: Dr refused repeat prescription painkillers

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:20 am

Would it be worth speaking to the receptionist and explaining why you need to see the doctor sooner. My last GP did this to me, she was an absolute cow! I've changed GP now and found one that is so supportive :D I hope you get your meds soon!

Hugs
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Hazelcat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks Claire, I spoke to the receptionist regarding the issue yesterday but she said there was no appointments and Friday was the only phone appointment available!
Hazelcat
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 am

Im not sure about your surgery but there is 2 ways I can ask for repeat meds.

One being by my chemist, I just fill bit on back and then they do all the work and I collect meds back at chemist few days later.

The other way is at the surgery. This is for people who have not got there repeat also so they can fill in slip for request. Now on the slip there is a bit for comments.

So if I was in your situation I would then put in the request for my pain meds then write a comment saying, I have put these in early due to...... (add reason) one would think that if doctors can clearly see on your notes your not an addict etc then this should be OK?

Im sure people do this before a holiday to make sure they don't run out so I assume under certain circumstances its ok?

I done it recently with a nasal spray (Ok cannot OD on that) but I needed *more* of it then they prescribe as im on full max dosage and what they gave me ran out within few weeks and didn't want to have to keep on putting prescription in every few weeks so wanted more so I didn't have to keep on going to chemist and they agreed so I get 2 now instead of one.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services