Doctors!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doctors!!

Postby Ann castle » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:43 am

Hi all I went to see my doctor for a medication review yesterday and I've never felt so bad.first of all within two weeks I'm bald! I've lost all of my hair turns out it's the gabapentin tabs....so she's now having some new meds brought in as a liquid for me it's a combination of two meds? But after all of that I walked out of my appointment telling my rhemo doc where to shove it!! :-x he made me do loads of exercises that I just couldn't do..I was in so much pain that I was in tears all of last night.....I mean why??so this morning I'm sitting in my lounge with two heat pads on my hips.....not happy
Ann castle
UKFM Newbie

Re: Doctors!!

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 am

The Rheumatologist is programmed by the NHS to give out info on exercises that *may* help fibro.

The purpose for this Is to help stretch the muscles to prevent them from seizing up from the stiffness.

Trouble is when you start off it needs to be at a gentle pace and you build it up over time to what you can achieve.

Everyone is different and every day is different so ones exercise may be very minimal or not at all some days. Keeping up with the exercise is a mammoth task and one which will exacerbate symptoms.

There are many forms of exercise. Stretching exercises is the main one. Daily routine to help prevent seizing up. In my case I need a physio to do mine as so many muscles need stretching that I just cannot do this alone and there tricky cause if you do too much you can injure or cause more pain.

The other form of exercise is whatever you can manage like, walking, swimming etc....

NHS feel with a combination of exercises and meds it help symptoms plus also they offer CBT as a talking therapy to help.

What your doctor should have done is referred you to physio. They would assess what your limitations are and start from there with a regime.

I don't understand why the consultant made you do exercises as they just normaly check for joint limitation which would be asking you to see how far you can move your neck, how far you can bend etc....

Its the physio that normal takes over any exercise assessments.

Sorry to hear about your hair :-o im unsure to what liquid form there now putting you on. The only combination I know of is co-codomal which is paracetamol and codeine.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Ann castle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi thanks for the info...I did think it was the physio that would give me exercises to do...but this consultant was so arrogant and pig headed...he made me feel I was just going in to moan...I'm on pregabalin and codiene liquid had to be flown in as it's not made in the UK.so I had to wait 12 hours with no pain relief.im on 1ml once a day at night.....boy I took it last night at 9pm by 10pm I was so woozy then fell asleep...so today I took another 1ml then will do another tonight then tomorrow I'm on 3 times daily.yes losing my hair is an annoyance but I'm hoping it will grow back within 6 months or so...I didn't realise that gabapentin has the side effect of hair loss....
Ann castle
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:01 pm

I was in so much pain Monday morning my hubby rang and asked for a home visit. At first they refused but grudgingly gave in when he told them I was agoraphobic. I was in tears when dr showed up. He simply stood with his arms folded then asked me to walk from lounge. To kitchen.i told him I could no longer cope with the pain in my legs and agnosing cramp. He said if I could walk to kitchen I could walk to a taxi and get to surgery. He made me feel about two inches tall :cry: he says he will organise some blood tests but he doesn't know when nurse will fit me in cos she's so busy ( if I made "effort" to go to surgery I could have them same day ) he upped my amiltryptiline to 25 mg and suggested counselling for my " anxiety " .
I cried for rest of day and it will be a cold day in hell before I see another dr.! :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Ann castle » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:59 am

Hi that's awful...what an awful doctor....I've told so many women this....you need to try to find a woman doctor they're so much better than men....they understand more.and trying to get you to walk....stupid man....yes being in constant pain isn't good
Ann castle
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Patsb wrote:I was in so much pain Monday morning my hubby rang and asked for a home visit. At first they refused but grudgingly gave in when he told them I was agoraphobic. I was in tears when dr showed up. He simply stood with his arms folded then asked me to walk from lounge. To kitchen.i told him I could no longer cope with the pain in my legs and agnosing cramp. He said if I could walk to kitchen I could walk to a taxi and get to surgery. He made me feel about two inches tall :cry: he says he will organise some blood tests but he doesn't know when nurse will fit me in cos she's so busy ( if I made "effort" to go to surgery I could have them same day ) he upped my amiltryptiline to 25 mg and suggested counselling for my " anxiety " .
I cried for rest of day and it will be a cold day in hell before I see another dr.! :evil:

He said quote *if I could walk to kitchen I could walk to a taxi and get to surgery*....

Ermmm NO! cause the whole reason you asked for a home visit is because of your agoraphobia! :-?

I would write a letter or speak with the practice mananger about the visit and how it made you feel and also that it has made you feel that you cannot in the future seek any more medical help due to the distress it caused.

Then, ask from now on to see someone else.

I have had my own personal experience with a GP not that long ago and now he has no role in my care and im under a female GP
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Patsb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Ty for your reply xxxx
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Patsb

That was an awful experience for you, and highly unprofessional of your GP. I would most definitely ask for contact details for the practice manager, and put in an official complaint.
Far too often, people such as GPs, abuse their positions and people accept this kind of unacceptable treatment. Do not accept it.
Historically, GPs and the like have been put on a pedastal, which some are undeserving of.
As my old Granny used to say " he sh*ts brown, the same as you" - ie: he is no better than you.

Big hug to you.
Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Just an update . I have had 4 lots of blood taken and I'm anemic and have low salt levels .i need more bloods done and have been prescribed iron tablets and told to stop taking the lanzapronale tablets as they may be causing low salt levels and horrific cramps I'm getting in my left leg and feet. I just hope the awful heartburn doesn't return now. :(
The nurse was lovely and even dr was more polite this time although when I asked him for something for the awful shakes I get he said it was just my nerves ! :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services