Second Opinion

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Second Opinion

Postby Tinytears » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi, how do I get a second opinion. My GP says I have Fibro and we have been trying various meds for past two years now and I can't get any release. She won't do anything further and says it all about how you deal with the pain - I am just so feed up.
Tinytears
UKFM Newbie

Re: Second Opinion

Postby LindyM66 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:57 am

Has your GP referred you to rheumatology? If not, request that she does. And you can also be referred to a pain management clinic.

I've been fortunate that the first round of meds, have helped me greatly. It's one of those trial and error situations sadly. I find epsom salts baths really help, as does heat. I used to go to work with those self adhesive heat pads stuck on my bum cheeks :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:23 am

It can sometimes take a bit trial and error to get the right medication. I am on duloxetine just now.

Ask about a referral to pain clinic as they have some good advice to offer.

I found the pain management course quite helpful.

Lindy your heat pads certainly made me laugh this morning. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:34 am

I was diagnosed last year and I'm still looking for some relief. My GP and the rheumatologist are still trying out different combinations of pain meds.

Hopefully we will find some relief soon.

Hugs
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:00 am

Dotty - those heat pads were a life saver :-)
One of the worst affected areas are my bum cheeks! The pain is horrendous at times, and goes right down the back of my thighs. Makes walking and sitting " a right old pain in the a*se" let me tell you!
Does anyone else get sore bum cheeks? Personal, I know, but we're all family here :-)
I have progressed to a heated car seat - best thing ever - tenner from ebay. My car doesn't have them. My husband is going to buy me a 2nd one, and put a plug on it (instead of the lighter adapter thing). Hell, if it works, I might buy loads! People will talk about me " that's her that always has a heated seat in her bag" .
Whatever works for me hey.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:15 am

Actually Lindy I get bum cheek pain as well. I seem to have 2 real hot spots and also having trouble with my coccyx again sitting is a pain. I have as many different types of cushions in the house I have tried. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 am

Hi Dotty,

You may or may not have tried this - the firm foam - type you get in wheelchair cushions.
We have a shop in Glasgow called " The Foam Shop" - you can buy any size, different levels of firmness and they cut it into whatever shape you need, and will cover it also.
There's also places online that you can purchase from.
If you haven't tried it, I would recommend it, Dotty. Works a treat!
Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services