Fab doc!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fab doc!

Postby Charlie73 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:02 pm

I realise such a subject heading might be rare, but today I met a fab doc :-D what made him fab was that I felt listened to, I wasn't dismissed, he acknowledged my various problems, and explained everything clearly.
I was referred to my local hospital pain management team, and told there's a 4-5 month wait :( I called and asked if I could be put on their cancellation list, so if an appointment came up at short notice I would be called and offered it. 1 week later I had a call!
Anyways, the Dr was interested in my history, and suggested my trigger was more likely to be from swine flu and subsequent 4 week chest infection in 2010, rather than the birth of my little boy in 2012. Not that it makes any difference to my treatment, but interesting all the same. He has referred me to see the psych team specifically to help me with adapting my life, accepting change and trying to look at ways of looking at pain in different ways, coping strategies etc. Basically cbt but on an individual basis, rather than in a group. He's prescribed pregabalin with a wide range dosage, to allow me to increase as needed. He said "you need to be able to tweak it until you get results balanced against the sedating effects'. He's also given me capsaicin cream, which he says he's had positive feedback for, so worth a try.
He examined my hand, he thinks the pins and needles and numbness (which has been really worrying me) is most likely to be carpel tunnel, so he filled in a form for a referral, there and then! He did the tender/pain points, but had to stop, because it made me shout :( even with light pressure, said he'd seen enough and didn't want to hurt me more.
The loveliest thing he said? Try to stop stressing about your work, you're going to make yourself worse, get yourself a good rep and engage with them to get good support. I have a good rep, I just need to talk to her more!

He was just generally lovely, shook my hand, and spoke to me as an intelligent fellow human being, and as if he was truly interested.

I have a light at the end of my tunnel, it's going to be a different light to the one I want, but it's still a light :-D
Charlie73
UKFM Member

Re: Fab doc!

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:11 am

It is always nice to hear of good experiences. Good accurate information, being listened to and a care plan that you can tweak will help you feel in charge.

Not always good at writing down what I want to say. Good luck with your referrals. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Fab doc!

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 pm

That's great news Charlie. It makes such a difference to have a health care professional show an interest.

Onwards and upwards :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services