What do I do now?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What do I do now?

Postby Mackiepea » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Hello everyone

I have been going to my GP for around 2 and a half years with really bad headaches, tingles in my arms and legs, sudden tiredness and what I can only call ditziness when I suddenly forget the word I want to use or can't make a decision. The GP after most of the 2 years said I had fibromyalgia. They referred me to a rheumatology consultant who seemed only to hear 'headache ' and has decided that I don't have fibromyalgia but am just stressed. But to increase the level of amitriptyline the GP put me on and to start antidepressants. He says in the letter to my gp that I don't quite fit the criteria for fibromyalgia because I don't have widespread pain. But I do have pain in my head, neck, shoulders, legs, bum cheek. I also get muscle stiffness in my legs and am unable to sit in one position for longer than a few minutes or to get more than 2 limbs comfy at the same time.

Having finally got a diagnosis from my gp I'm now feeling dismissed. What can I do next? While I was obviously not happy to have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia it at least made sense to me and explains my symptoms.

Sorry for the long post but any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks
Mackiepea
UKFM Newbie

Re: What do I do now?

Postby LindyM66 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:23 am

Hi M

It's awful trying to get a diagnosis. Took me years of to'ing and fro'ing to GP, Rheumatology.
Things came to a head in February of this year, when my whole body froze. Long story short, after presenting myself at A & E, twice - my GP was requested by hospital staff to re-refer me. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.
Do not give up. Ask for a 2nd opinion. As much as we put our faith in GPs and consultants - they all have their own opinions.
Wish I could offer more constructive advice for you.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:10 pm

I would also always mention about seeking another opinion but the problem with this i found is that your GP may just ask you to do as the letter advises (medications) and if this does not help symptoms then after a period of time they can reffer you for another opinion. I found GP will not straight away go against a consultants letter without trying there plan of action first.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Mackiepea » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Thank you both for your help. I'll have to talk to my GP about the other meds the consultant has suggested anyway but I was feeling like if the consultant has made a decision I have no other option but to carry on not being taken seriously. So thank you for both replies.
Mackiepea
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services