Doctors

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doctors

Postby lurcher » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Diagnosed with osteoarthritis (stenosis of spine) osteoporosis. Asthma, and last year COPD. I have now started to use out of hous or A@E where I'm given steroids and antibiotics, had house call couple weeks ago by one of older Doctors in thee practice. I was unable to walk about and Doc asked why this was, I explained by telling about my condition and the consultants i have seen, this is same Doc who prescribes me steroids and any pills I need. I was astonished when Doc said they had never ever read my notes? A couple days later I questioned this to be told "you can't expect us to read through say 600 pages of your notes before coming to see you" but apologised, i dont think this inspires much confidence,
lurcher
UKFM Member

Re: Doctors

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:29 pm

This is why they like you to see your own doctor all the time because they get to *know* you, one would imagine by what you say is the reson why. They dont have to read through the notes and know your history. When I have seen a GP im not familiar with, they only seem to read a little, mainly the last few time you have been in. I have to go through some things with them. Unfamiliar doctors tend to not like to treat you if your there for an ongoing problem and advise you to go back and see your own GP.

Sticking with one GP is OK but, when there off sick or leave its a nightmare! then you end up spending alot of time working on someone else.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby lurcher » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:27 am

Thanks for reply. Maybe I didn't quite write what I was trying to say but the Doc was one of the oldest of the five in the practice who has been seeing me for nearly 35 yrs and only works part time. You can imagine he many times I've been prescribed medication by same Doc. My practice works like this, if you can get an appointment and see one of them, they ask you to make appointment in say 2 weeks time to see themselves. At reception when you ask for another appointment you are told that this particular Doc is away on holiday then or either their appointments don't start to a particular date and you have to phone back later in roughly 2 weeks. If I've been to out of hours or AE or had home visit(out of hours) I'm given steroids and antibiotics and told to see my Doc in usually five days. I then call practice to be told somthing like there are no appointments until say the next 10days! Last twice I've been advised by hospital docs to change practice. I need to do this but when unwell it's a task. I say it's undoubtedly a shambles and there appears to be some kind of policy .working to force patients to hospital.
lurcher
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Lurcher

Yip, totally get you. It's difficult to get a GP appointment at the best of times.
Too many patients, too little time. I've fallen victim of this a few times, as I'm sure others have. Been wrongly diagnosed with a chillblain - when it was actually peripheral vascular disease. Prescribed wrong meds, that contraindicated with present ones. I have a nursing background, and thankful for it, so recognised these things, and went back to GP. But what if I had just accepted it? I have also worked with many GPs in training. And whilst some are very good, some aren't - however, we put our trust in them, because they are supposed to be "in the know". But, they are human!
I always go to the same GP, as I cannot bear having to relate " my story", every single time.
As much as I sympathise with the lack of staffing and resources, it's a dangerous way to practice.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby lurcher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Many thanks for reply. I agree with you on to many patients etc, but I think the system is bogged down and maybe patients are being forced to out of hours for reasons they know best, probably comes back to money. I asked to go private and go said no. I don't know if gp has final say in this I'll have to enquire.
lurcher
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services