Living with Fibromyalgia. Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Living with Fibromyalgia. Hello

Postby Retiredlass » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 am

Hello my name is Paula I am 67 and have been told by my GP that I have fm, am waiting for appt with rheumatologist for confirmation. I need advice on how to cope or any advice please. Finding it hard to cope.
Retiredlass
UKFM Newbie

Re: Living with Fibromyalgia. Hello

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi & :welcome:

First of all here is a link you can click on for lots of information that will/can help you... http://ukfibromyalgia.com/index.php

Its finding a way to help with your pain and also work and find out your limitations and remembering to pace yourself. This takes time.

Therepaies like CBT can help with pain management as well as medications, physiotherapy and other treatments.

The Rhuematologist may start you off on Amitriptyline and may refer you to physio.

Its starting at the beginning and woking out what you feel benefits you.

I personaly find that a combination of medication, light exercise, hands on therapy & learning pacing and limitations works well for me.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Retiredlass » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks for your helpful comments. Regarding medication it would appear that my body won't tolerate any of the medication used. I am now experiencing pins and needles in my left arm/hand. Not getting any proper sleep because of severe cramping in legs, burning and numbness in feet. Feeling very low at moment. GP advises nothing more they can do to help. Got appointment for rheumatologist in October.
Retiredlass
UKFM Newbie

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Paula,

GPs can sometimes be very eager to "throw in the towel". Ask for a referral to a pain management clinic, physio (if you haven't already done so.
I am fortunate to be able to take pain relief, but I also find heat helps greatly. My wee heat pad is my best pal! Nice hot baths with epsom salts (4 cups).
FM is one of these conditions, with symptoms that vary from person to person, however, we all seem to share alot too!
You will learn to identify what makes your pain worse, what helps it, what makes you tired, when to take time out at rest etc.
It truly is a pain in the a*rse!!!

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello