fed up with pain.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fed up with pain.

Postby Wakeylass » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi new on here but glad I've found somewhere to talk. I've yet to be diagnosed but gp says she's pretty certain i have fibromyalgia. Just going through the motions of having everything ruled out. It's been pretty rotten year from the outset with been hospitalised with tonsilitis then diagnosed with diabetes. I'm May I was in a road traffic accident but not too badly injured.most days I'm in pain.it shifts about today it's my power back, hope and knees. Yesterday my elbows and neck. I've been off work for ten weeks now and hate it. Gp gave me naproxen but it gave me stomach pains. So now on codine which does help a bit sometimes. What meds are you all on.?
Wakeylass
UKFM Newbie

Re: fed up with pain.

Postby Painintheneck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Crikey, Wakeylass, you really have been going through it!

Most, if not all, painkillers have the potential to cause stomach upsets and gut problems – just keep asking your GP if you can try something else until you find one that suits you.

You ask what meds other old soldiers here are on. I’m prescribed pregabalin (Lyrica), which I’m supposed to take twice a day but I’ve developed a bit of a wariness of it – it’s great for getting rid of my aches and pains, but the brain-fade, light-headedness and other weirdness makes me feel like it’s not worth it – so I take it only when I feel I must, and even then I meddle with the dose. This is NOT the way to take prescription medication, everybody!
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Wakeylass

Where you prescribed Omeprazole with the Naproxen to stop the stomach upset?

Unlikely to help with fibromyalgia though.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 am

:welcome: to the forum.

Naproxen I have which I take for inflammation as I have other back conditions. Make sure you take the tablet with food or a milky drink. You also have two different dosages, 250mg or 500mg. I can only tolerate 250mg and only reaching for 500mg in severe flares.

Reading up on what pain in the neck has said I also have to adjust meds accordingly. A lot of fibros are sensitive to the meds causing side effects but I’ve had this now for 20 years and have learned what my body likes and dislikes.

Again as suggested a tablet like omoprozole can help protect the gut.

Apart from that for the fibro itself I have baclofen for the stiffness, co-codamol for the pain. I also have a mouth guard to help my neck, head and jaw. I pay for private physio and have many gadgets at home like heated blankets, thera cane, massagers, tens machine etc....

It’s working out what your body response to and I’m afraid this may take quiet a bit of time. If you browse the UkFM website there is a lot of information of types of meds and treatments.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Nightfire » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:09 am

Hi there,
I am having quite a bad flare up atm. I was put on Gabapentin 6 weeks ago but it was not working for me. Pregabalin was prescribed instead at lowest dose (75mg twice a day). I've been taking them for almost 3 weeks now and the pain (all over at different times) has been getting worse. On contacting surgery, I've been told I need to see a dr to get dose increased but I can't get in until 16th. (I need help now!) I live in Cornwall, England and am finding it a struggle to get support. Dr did explore use of LDN a few months ago but this was dismissed on grounds of being too expensive.
Have today and tomorrow off work so am visiting surgery and plan to speak to receptionist as soon as they open this morning (08.15) to get an appt today.
The flare up has also increasewd my IBS symptoms so am now struggling with diarrhoea as well - lovely!
Any advice well appreciated!
Thanks
Nightfire
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 am

I think your doing the right thing and making contact with the surgery to see if they can fit you in sooner. I hope you manage to see someone today. There is not much else you can do as the GP needs to up the meds unless your able to take any painkillers alongside the meds until you see someone?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Nightfire » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Lisa,
They got me into the emergency clinic and I saw a paramedic who had to check stuff out with my GP anyway! They've agreed to up the dosage to 150mg twice daily. Collecting script in a bit. Had a call from the phone number I used yesterday to join a support group in Liskeard, Cornwall (15 mins by car from where I live in Saltash). They no longer operate so that means the nearest is St Austell. They don't even appear to have a group in Plymouth! Really need a support group now as pain is so bad. How are you?
Nightfire
UKFM Newbie

Postby Nightfire » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Sorry Lisa, I got your Naproxen mixed up with Naltrexone (as in LDN)
Nightfire
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:17 pm

I’ll PM you :-)
*Lisa*

Return to Where to Say Hello