Is it or isn't it?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is it or isn't it?

Postby tigerlily72 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 am

Ok, introductions and a little background . . .

I'm a 45 yr old female with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, a history of depression/stress and a minor heart problem (left ventricular hypertrophy) which I've been very recently diagnosed with. I'm diet controlled re: the diabetes and am on meds for the high blood pressure inc a diuretic.

In around September 2016 I had what I can only describe as a burning, tingling sensation in my right leg, below and around the knee which went part way down the front of this leg. I was prescribed 100mg gabapentin as my Dr suspected nerve pain or a compressed nerve.

Prior to this I'd had a very stressful year - my mother in law's health was declining rapidly and we'd also lost my father in law the year before. We'd also had to find another care home in the Spring/Summer for my mother in law due to concerns and issues at her previous one. I also had a situation at work where I not only had to raise a grievance but then also a subsequent appeal against a senior colleague. My stress levels were permanently raised!

I then got suspected chickenpox in early January of this year, although one Dr doesn't think I had them in the first place and I'm not convinced that I did either. Whatever I had, I was very run down. After the few spots I had cleared, I then felt extremely fatigued and exhausted as well as cold and I'm a "hot" person in that it has to be minus temps before I'm cold. The sensations under my skin at this point were no longer just my right lower leg but both legs inc upper legs, upper back and shoulders, neck area, hands, arms and ankles. The sensation was tingling, stinging and burning. But, the skin (to me) felt cold and I felt cold and struggled to feel warm. Another trip to the Dr - running a slight fever and told I had a heart murmur and then following a cardio appointment - diagnosed with the minor heart problem I mentioned.

In the meantime, pain has spread and intensified - it hurts to sit at times as the area at the back of my legs and buttocks is tender, I have more or less a constant ache from elbows and lower arm, my legs ache, my upper back and shoulders ache but it feels like someone has poured or applying an icy compress on certain areas. I really hurt and my lower limbs are stiff when I wake up. I can fall asleep on the sofa and my lack of sleep is scary. I was so desperate a week or so ago and due to the level of pain I left work early and got an emergency Drs appointment - I now have amitriptyline to help me sleep, the gabapentin was already increased to 600mg three times a day but I was told I could double the dose again if needed. I'm waiting on an appointment with a neurologist - this could be anything up to 15 weeks before I'm seen.

I realise I've probably been rambling so sorry for that. I'm trying to provide as much info as possible in case it's relevant. After much googling my symptoms point to FM or even MS. I just want a diagnosis (which I know no-one on here can do) but any help would be great. I'm sick of feeling ill and pumping myself full of pills to get through the day. I find myself awake at this time of the morning as I woke up stiff and needing to pee. Oh, and I also forget things - it'll be in my head one moment and then it's gone. It mainly seems to be my short term memory. There's probably lots of other stuff I've forgotten.

Apologies for such a long first post and thank you to anyone who reads this to the end!
tigerlily72
UKFM Newbie

Re: Is it or isn't it?

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am

Hi & :welcome:

There are some classic fibro symptoms in the mix there but also alot of neurological symptoms to.

Nerve compression (sciatica) is a symptom of a back related problem (Im going thro this at the moment) so alot of symptoms can also be related to the underlying sciatica problem. Sciatica can be caused by things like slipped disc/bulging discs/inflammation and some other back conditions which all can cause symptoms you describe.

You say you felt worse after the spots. Fibro can be triggered from trauma/stress & illness. Post viral fatigue & CFS can also be triggered after an illness, these all give same symptoms.

Im no doctor but I suspect you would need investigations into this nerve pain/compression as well as bloods to rule out any other illnesses like auto-immune diseases/MS/inflammation etc.... once everything is eliminated and no link to symptoms then fibro can be looked into although the Neurologist may detect on the day a strong link but will still need to rule all others out.

GP will in many cases refer you to a Rheumatologist when they feel fibro could be the problem. Your seeing a Neurologist so maybe GP linking you with more Nurological symptoms then a Musculoskeletal disorder?

Fibro does mimick that of so many other illnesses its eliminating all of these as fibro is not detected in any tests.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tigerlily72 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi Lisa

Thanks for reading my post and replying :-) I'm pretty sure I don't have sciatica as I know the pain from this runs from your lower back (I think) and down the back of your legs. I don't really have lower back pain - the pain in my back is in my upper back and shoulders, as well as other places.

I had to go to the surgery (again) yesterday as my BP had dropped a bit low and my husband was worried and didn't want me taking my BP meds until I'd taken medical advice. The triage nurse had requested I see a Dr later that day. On the plus side, my change in diet (as I'm "clean eating") has, the Dr believed had a direct impact on my BP and I've already lost more than half a stone in weight. So, she has advised me to stop my BP meds :-D

She has asked me to go for a blood test in 1-2 weeks time - they will be checking for inflammation, thyroid and blood sugar level/count as it'll also be a fasting blood test as I have Type 2 diabetes but am diet controlled. It wasn't my registered Dr but I'd seen her a few months ago and she'd picked up and diagnosed me with a heart murmur so seems to know her stuff! I mentioned how awful I'd been feeling, that some of the symptoms pointed to poss FMS and asked what could be done as Summer could have come and gone before I get to see a neurologist! And that's when she said a blood test. Hopefully, I'll have some answers by the end of the month . . .
tigerlily72
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am

Well done on the diet & weight loss :clap: :clap: I have just started a diet myself and finished week 1 so will weigh myself in the morning :fingerscrossed:

Yes, bloods they normal run first if they suspect fibro, as I think I mentioned, this is to rule out anything else that maybe lurking.

Having a good doctor on board always helps.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Where to Say Hello