Hi Everyone

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi Everyone

Postby Popsicle » Thu May 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi,

just wanted to say hello.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in November after having symptoms for a few years. I had all the tests going and nothing was found except some arthritis in my right wrist and one finger. My GP has been brilliant and he suspected fibro and sent me to see a rheumatologist who confirmed the diagnosis.

I have been attending a fibro self-management programme at the same hospital, in Bath, and it has been really helpful so far. There are ten of us in my group and it is led by a physio and an occupational therapist who have a particular interest in fibro. It has been so useful just having an insight into how the body works, sleep patterns, pain signals, relaxation techniques, pacing etc. Just talking to others in the group and knowing I'm not going crazy has been super important to me.

If you can get on one of these programmes I thoroughly recommend it.
Popsicle
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby perseus » Fri May 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi Popsicle

Welcome to the forum

It's great to see that you have found the right people to help, and you are treating your illness so positively.

It sounds similar to the pain management course I went on about 15 years ago. Have you managed without drugs so far?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

:welcome:

Sadly there are only a few of these programmes around the UK. I feel more should be opened and access to all. My nearest one is about 40 odd miles away :yikes: Im glad you had a good experience and hope it has helped you :-D
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Popsicle » Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Perseus

I have tried amitriptyline but it caused more problems so I had to come off it. I just have pain relief for the headaches now.

Hi Lisa

I know what you mean about there not being enough of the programmes. I suppose it depends which NHS area you are under. I have to travel 20 miles to mine. I live in the middle of Somerset so every major city is at least 20 miles in any direction :-? I can't find a support group near me though especially one that meets in the evening for people who work during the day. Maybe I should start one ?
Popsicle
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sat May 06, 2017 11:54 am

You could do and you also may be able to get some funding and help/support in making up a support group. If you wish to do this contact me via PM and I'll give you the details.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Where to Say Hello