Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello

Postby Pigletwiglet » Tue May 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Good evening everyone,

Thank you for accepting me onto the forum. I'm a lady just about to turn 50, desk-based homeworker, with a husband and an elderly father who drives me bonkers in the nicest possible way. Hubby and Dad are very concerned about me and trying to offer me support but I have a sense hubby is finding it a little trying.

I've had a rough couple of years with various pains in different parts of my body and all sorts of odd symptoms, and together they all seem to have added up to a recent diagnosis of fibromyalgia from my GP following investigation for just about everything - thyroid, liver, etc.

I seem to get pains in very specific points in my jaw, shoulder, around my breastbone, sides, hips, pain in my right side over the gall bladder (which was clear on being scanned) and right leg principally, sore muscle knots in both legs, together with IBS (which, to be fair, seems to have flared up at various points in my life) and odd sensations such as an intermittent funny, numb, creeping feeling in my right leg, twitching eyebrow, an occasional pain or feeling of a pinched nerve running up my neck into my head.

One of the weirdest things is a kind of thumping nerve in my back/shoulder blade that doesn't hurt, just thumps, but so heavily that it almost feels like a palpitation. If I lie on the affected side it will start thumping exactly 10 minutes in, which is really peculiar - I can set my clock by it and it always jerks me awake. It doesn't hurt, just thumps and pounds, then subsides.

All of this seems to have been triggered by a couple of fractured ribs, leading to costochondritis, and I've never been free of pain since. Physio has helped to an extent, but the tummy problem is a bit recalcitrant and still under investigation.

I've browsed the forums and seeing the range of symptoms reported - TMJ and droopy eyelid, and shooting pains going up the neck into the head for example - has been reassuring, but I'm still feeling a bit like an oddity at the moment, so wanted to find out more from fellow sufferers, especially about the weird thumpy nerve.

All best,
Pigletwiglet
Pigletwiglet
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello

Postby *Lisa* » Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 am

:welcome:

Is it your right side where you fractured your ribs? & the Costochondritis side?

Sounds like classic Costochondritis. I also have this and pulled the muscles in my right rib cage causing Costo.

Your symptoms of the Costo sound very familular to mine. The right sided pain down the body. I have problems with TMJ & my front chest wall muscles.

Costo is like the feeling of having someone constantly being carried on your right hip with their hands round your neck as support. The tugging and pulling of the muscles from the neck down. The tightness around the chest. The neck stiffness and feeling of being strangled. It also feels like your walking about with concrete slabs hanging from your neck. Its a really dibilitating condition. When I had my first ever flare, I couldnt move for 6months :yikes:

To get me back on my feet I had a physio who done trigger point therapy and worked around the chest wall & muscles. She also stretched the muscles inbetween the ribs and worked on my TMJ.

I also have a mouthguard that eases symptoms, an inhalor as my chest gets very stiff. I also have some IBS medication to relax the stomach muscles as it also effects your stomach and that feels really uncomfortable like you cannot breath in and out properly, its not being able to expand the stomach from the inflammation & stiffness.

Eating little and often will help the stomach feeling. Also relaxation techniques.

The nerve pounding to me sound like a muscle twitch. You can get your tiny little ones on your eye but in your back and legs with bigger muscles being involved these can feel like your jerking. Twitches can be painless also. Its not spasms cause this would be extremely painfull. When your lying down your putting pressure on the muscle, it might be agrivating it?

Fibro and Costo can go hand in hand so you may also have fibro but symptoms you say but sound more classic of Costo to me.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Pigletwiglet » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Hello Lisa and thank you for replying in such detail.

I fractured two ribs on my left side through a combination of food poisoning during which I was very violently sick and a cold coming on subsequently when I was at a really low ebb. I hadn't realised I had fractured ribs until the GP started poking and prodding and a lovely clicking sound happened when she pressed on the affected ribs . . . it was news to me that you could break your own ribs through sneezing, coughing or vomiting! The lowest rib took the longest to heal (I suspect as it was the one most affected by everyday movement) and I think that's where all the costo started.

I've had a very good physio whose exercises have really helped to open up my chest - that trigger point stuff is exactly where the physio was coming from as well. My chest feels very tight, as you say, and the best way to describe it for me is that I feel very dragged down physically as if I'm being pulled to the ground (which sounds similar to yours), but dragged down mentally as well. My legs get very stiff as well as painful.

That pounding doesn't feel like a muscle twitch at all - it's very different to muscle twitches in my leg which I do get as well - and they think it's an impinged nerve, but yes, it does seem to be positional, lying on it or moving my shoulder forward and up will do it. It goes BANG BANG BANG like a heartbeat, but it's a different rhythm to my heart, which has been checked over. One of my "oddities" if you like, is that I've always been able to feel my pulse just by thinking about it.

Hubby has a theory that I'm not quite wired up correctly, which I should say is said seriously and not in a disparaging manner, as a result of observing me for 20 years! I think that's actually a good way of putting it, and so those chickens have come home to roost now after living in a fairly pain-free fashion most of my life. I've always been one of those people who has never felt particularly well all her life, in fact, feeling well is usually a precursor to feeling very ill indeed. Is this common to fibro/costo sufferers?
Pigletwiglet
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sat May 13, 2017 10:33 am

Funny you should say that because my physio has always said to me she thinks Im wired up wrong :shock: :lol: and shes known me/treated me since onset of symptoms nearly 20 years ago now :yikes:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Where to Say Hello