Better late than never

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Better late than never

Postby luxiebear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello everyone!

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia just over two years ago after literally dozens of appointments, tests and scans (you know the drill!). I was hoping that finally having a condition to refer to would make my life easier and I would start getting better, but it didn't really happen like that.

The consultant rheumatologist referred me to a number of services, but for whatever reason, nothing happened. I didn't want to rock the boat and chase anything up due to my crippling anxiety and awareness of the current NHS situation.

So for the next two years I muddled on, trying my best to look after myself, as well as working, sleeping (a lot) and popping far too many painkillers. And then after a particularly bad fortnight-long flare up, I decided to buck up and go and see my GP, explain that I can't cope anymore.

She suggested a lot of actually really helpful things, and re-referred me to all the services. So for the past few weeks, I've been doing gentle exercise, have started tracking the various symptoms of my condition, been eating better and drinking more water, actually asking for help when I need it, and I have now, finally, joined the forum!

So, hi again! I'm Jasmine, I'm 27 and live in Brighton. I work in a coffee shop a couple of days a week, and the rest of the time I try and write and create things, but I've not been so dedicated to that recently. I live with my long term boyfriend who is very understanding of my condition (maybe more so than I am!) and three pet rats.

I also have depression, anxiety, IBS and TMJD. I take amitripyline and citalopram, and zapain for particularly bad pain.

Looking forward to learning things here :)
luxiebear
UKFM Newbie

Re: Better late than never

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 am

Hi Jasmine

I think we can all relate to you. I share similar experiences to yourself, prior to diagnosis. It takes time to learn how fibromyalgia impacts on our body. Identifying what we can do and what we can't do, is helpful - although frustrating!
Acceptance that we have this condition, is something else I found helpful, as it allowed me to make changes that I needed to. Not to lie down belly up, but to make changes such as- learning to rest, saying NO more often and not running myself ragged etc
End of the day, we are the ones who know our bodies and feel our physical pain, so there's no point pushing ourselves over the limit, then paying for it for days/weeks afterwards. I think that's the most important thing I've learned.
It's all a big learning curve :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello