Recently diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Recently diagnosed

Postby redhead60 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi everyone
I've recently been diagnosed by a Rheumatology consultant. He suggested that I change from my current antidepressant dosulepin to duloxetine as he says it has an element of painkiller in it. My GP has said to stop the dosulepin for 7 days and then start taking the duloxetine. I'm worried about this as I've been on dosulepin for a long time (years) so don't know how I will react to stopping it suddenly. He says it takes a week to leave my body. He's then put me on 40mg duloxetine twice a day. I've done some research and quite a few people seem to have some nasty side effects when first starting this drug. Has anyone swapped from dosulepin to duloxetine? I'd love to hear other people's experiences as I'm dreading doing this but realise that I might be better off with the new meds. I'm lucky that my hubby is very supportive but he can't really know what it's like to be in pain every day. I've also had comments from friends and family like - You just need to exercise more or I'm sure it's not that bad etc etc which I'm finding it hard to deal with. I've had a rough time over the last 6 years as was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 2012, became progressively worse with bad flare ups where I couldn't leave the house due to going to the loo about 30 times a day, was taken into hospital in November 2013 as a emergency, ended up with an ileostomy and a stoma, had major complications including a second op as the first one was done wrong, sepsis, blockage, wounds opening. Was in hospital for 7 weeks. Have since had a further op in June 2106 when the rest of my large bowel was removed as it was still diseased and my butt sewn up. Since then have daily pain from adhesions and scar tissue. And now been told I've got fibromyalgia! Trying very hard to stay positive - I've been through a lot so this won't beat me.
Sorry this is such a long post. Looking forward to hearing other people's stories and how they cope with this strange condition.
redhead60
UKFM Newbie

Re: Recently diagnosed

Postby perseus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am

Welcome to the forum Redhead.

I've been on Duloxetine for goodness knows how long, I do think it's been effective without any obvious side effects, although I tend to wake up in the middle of the night. It's one of the few drugs which has been shown to exhibit benefits for fibromyalgia sufferers. Hope you get some benefit.

A meta-analysis of four randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies of duloxetine in the treatment of fibromyalgia showed it to be significantly superior to placebo in providing pain relief, reducing fatigue and improving physical and mental performance. The results of safety studies indicate that duloxetine is safe and well tolerated. Adverse effects tend to be mild, appearing more often at the start of therapy and decreasing or disappearing over the course of continued treatment.

https://journals.prous.com/journals/ser ... 5&p_IsPs=N
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby LindyM66 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi and welcome Redhead,

I can't share any experience of duloxetine, as I've never been prescribed them.
Fingers crossed they give you some relief. It's no joke being in constant pain from the fibro, nevermind your additional health issue.
I was diagnosed last year, and I now take 1800mgs of gabapentin 3 times a day, plus 100mgs of tramadol 4 times a day.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby redhead60 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Quick update - I tried to take Duloxetine but had a very bad reaction to the first dose - very nauseous, which wasn't helped by normal anti-sickness meds, very dizzy/woozy, thought I was going to pass out - roaring in the ears, black vision, insomnia - couldn't sleep even after taking a diazepam, also raised blood pressure. Reckoned if just one dose could mess with my brain that much I wasn't happy to carry on so have gone back to my original antidepressants. Shame though as the duloxetine was supposed to help with joint pain. Now trying a different tactic and taking tumeric capsules as have read they're good for inflammation of joints/arthritis - seems ok so far but have also got this awful flu bug so have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and still not right.
redhead60
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello