Menthol Pain cream/ gel aboniki

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Menthol Pain cream/ gel aboniki

Postby ahmir » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi

So ive been using gels/cream since my teens (30 now) to help with fibro....only really works on my neck area.....every morning after a shower i apply and gives my neck area relief till about midday ...3 times a day seems to get me through the day..... thought i would share as it might also help somone else ...when buying make sure the menthol is a strong ingredient only seems to be available in the cash and carry or in southall in london ..im from the north west my brother works in london so gets me when i need ..one i use is called aboniki not going to find in tesco but you can also find from the main online sites like ebay/ amazon...can try other menthol ones like moove but this one has my neck pain under control.... when i have a flare up i put cream on and a tight scarf until i can feel the pain/throbbing easing up. Does also help in other areas bit doesnt last aslong as it does on the neck ..maybe due to the sensitivity in the neck region maybe? ..hope it helps :-)
ahmir
UKFM Member

Re: Menthol Pain cream/ gel aboniki

Postby ahmir » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Forgot to put make sure the one you buy. Has the menthol in % and also at the side it has a silver line (like money does lol) some fakes going about that i did buy online ...should smell like the strongest vicks ever ...if it smells like petroluem its fake send it back. Atb
ahmir
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 pm

That's interesting ahmir, I didn't realise Menthol had analgesic properties like Capsaicin. I use the latter.

Biological properties[edit]

Menthol's ability to chemically trigger the cold-sensitive TRPM8 receptors in the skin is responsible for the well-known cooling sensation it provokes when inhaled, eaten, or applied to the skin.[1] In this sense, it is similar to capsaicin, the chemical responsible for the spiciness of hot chilis (which stimulates heat sensors, also without causing an actual change in temperature).

Menthol's analgesic properties are mediated through a selective activation of κ-opioid receptors.[2] Menthol also blocks voltage-sensitive sodium channels, reducing neural activity that may stimulate muscles.[3] A study showed that topical absorption of ibuprofen is not increased by menthol, but does note the complementary effect of the menthol as a pain reliever itself.[4]

Some studies show that menthol acts as GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator and increases GABAergic transmission in PAG neurons.[5] Menthol also shares anaesthetic properties similar to propofol, by modulating same sites of GABAA receptor.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol#B ... properties
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby ahmir » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi

I never knew that about capsaicin !

Defo worth trying in the muscle rub form
ahmir
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm

The Capsaicin cream is called Zacin, available on prescription. I needed it yesterday after trying to clean the car fee of dog hairs! Be careful not to lie in a hot bath afterwards though!
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Help / Tips on Coping