coping with holidays

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

coping with holidays

Postby Easylifer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Hello all, i have been very lucky this year, we camped for 8 days in Wales and i managed to walk up and down Snowdon, it knocked me out for two days but was worth it for the view. think i need to invest in a blown up mattress as the self inflating one is too thin i think.

Then Mum had asked me to go with her to Poland as her dad, my grandad came from there. The flight out wasn't too bad. Mum wanted to do all the touristy things which has meant alot of walking. i also didn't plan things very well and ran out of amitriptyline, so i rationed my self to one a night and had to increase my ibuprofen, but as the days went on i started to suffer more and more, i didn't want to let on to mum too much as she is in her early sixties and i should be able to keep up with her. but the flight home was very uncomfortable, screaming children hurt my ears, the sun was so bright it left me with a headache, sore back aching all over and tired twitchy legs. Im back home now, sent my other half out to get my tabs, catching up on my programmes in my dressing gown and still aching.

Is it worth it? i think it is saw some amazing things, but need to be better prepared next time.

How have your holidays gone?

:-D :-D
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Re: coping with holidays

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:09 pm

If you have room in your tent I really recommend one of the double height airbeds, it's like getting up from a proper bed rather than scrabbling up from the ground.

I love camping, we have a large trailer tent and a big 6 man "tunnel" tent.

We'll probably sell the trailer tent because putting the awning up and pegging out is too much these days. Might save for a folding camper instead.

Glad you had a good holiday, that's how we feel after a flamingoland break. Shattered but it's worth it the kids love it and it's so cheap in the grand scheme of things.

We've not managed a holiday this year what with money and being signed off etc but we live in tourist hot spot so we've done some touristy things here instead.

I have German heritage and still have a lot of family over there in Dortmund I'd love to go over again. Last time was with my uncle by car, to take my nan & grandads ashes there.

One day......
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Will look into the double height airbed, thanks for that

Mum wants to find out more about her dad, but not sure where to start, he grew up around krakow, we've made a start and got a feel for the area, loved it and hope to go back to see more x
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:51 pm

My uncle has done similar using ancestry. Ours was quite tricky as family was from Germany at the time of ww1 they wanted to change the surname from the germanic version to escape the prejudice so different branches ended up with different spelling. Tracked down family in Detroit, Canada and lots of other places it might be a good place to look for your mum, you can buy packages for presents
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 pm

i think mum wants to know but is worried about what she might find, my poor grandad used to have nightmares and run into the street screaming, :( but i think ancestry is the way to go, think we have as much information as we can find for free so time to take it to the next level
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Excellent well hope it works out for your mum
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:27 pm

That all sounds very interesting! Krakow is lovely too, I was there a few years ago and loved it :)

But I have to admit, I struggle with holidays now. I find it exhausting and all the sitting about when travelling and walking about when I'm there leaves me in pain. So I come back from a holiday feeling awful!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:00 am

Easylifer.......Sometimes the payback pain is so worth it. I am glad you had a holiday and got to enjoy yourself a bit.

We love to camp. We used a tent for over 20 years but a couple of years ago we bought a 30ft caravan. It is much nicer.

A few years ago when I came back home to Yorkshire I walked the Hole of Horcum, about a 10 mile walk. I was wearing the Fentanyl, took extra pain med and muscle relaxants. The last 20 miles was sheer agony but I was determined and hid my pain and tears. It was on my bucket list and I was doing it come he'll or high water. When I got back to the Hotel I soaked for an hour, had a cuppa, filled myself with pills and slept for 18hrs straight. I was in severe pain for about a week but I can say I did it.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Easylifer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:01 am

I'm feeling pretty bad at the mo, yesterday I felt sick all afternoon, sickness has gone but nick said I'm being spiky this morning, my lower back is very sore, can't Stand up straight and huffing and puffing as I move about. :-\
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping